types of shinglebacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just interested in the different variations of shinglebacks
that are out there. also is it usual for one to be totally black?

also what is the smallest enclosure size for 2 females. ? about 24 months old
i have a 3ft enclosure free at the moment and was wondering if that would be ok until we
had a permanent enclosure built? as we are re vamping out tanks

Well I'm pretty sure there are completely black shinglebacks but they're way more expensive.

I wouldn't put 2 in a 3 foot enclosure but thats just my opinion, other people might think its perfectly ok. I like my reptiles to have a fair bit of room, so my enclosure that is being built is 1500mm long.

The variation in colors is quite pronounced the further west you go. Two in a 3ft enclosure is ok for a short time if you have a larger one on the way but is defiantly too small for permanent residency.

Edit: sorry that sounds like an application for a visa.

Last edited:
ah dude most shinglebacks are full black/ dark brown
its rarer to find ones with other pigment at all espescially in the wild

ive only ever seen black shinglebacks in shop/wild, obviously ive seen pics of white ones but never in real life

and the enclosure might need to be 4ish foot coz shinglebacks can be pretty nasty

ah dude most shinglebacks are full black/ dark brown
its rarer to find ones with other pigment at all espescially in the wild

ive only ever seen black shinglebacks in shop/wild, obviously ive seen pics of white ones but never in real life

and the enclosure might need to be 4ish foot coz shinglebacks can be pretty nasty

Such broad sweeping statements are not indicative of the species colors at all.

Ok, am I just imagining that there have been completely black shinglebacks for sale for $900+ ? :oops:

so are you telling me that the completely black shingles are rarer? or more expensive? also i have a 3 ft tank avail
at the mometn but have a bigger tnak coming in the next few months.. will they be ok for a couple of months?

Yes I do think that completely black Shingle Backs are rare. I have one that is nearly completely black but still has a little white in him. Does that make him a thousand dollar lizard? No I don't think so. And no a 3ft tank will not be ok for a couple of months.

ok cools thanks for your advice since ur one of the few who bothered to help me im grateful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back