Unusually coloured yellow-faced Whipsnake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expansa1

Reaction score
Took this photo of an unusually coloured Whipsnake my wife found in our backyard yesterday.
Looks very different to all the others that we have found on our property.

Cheers,

Craig
Yellowfacedwhipsnake.jpg

Looks like someone took to it with a can of red spray paint.

How odd. Is the green colour usual? I've only ever seen one of these in the flesh before and it was a silver colour.

WHAT are you serious ?
If so that is a top find,good stuff,it beautiful.

Mate I thought I had some pretty ones, but that is insane! The red colouration is common, but definitely not that shade of red.

Beautiful animal,imagine the whole snake that colour,what a great find thanks for sharing!

Took this photo of an unusually coloured Whipsnake my wife found in our backyard yesterday.Looks very different to all the others that we have found on our property.Cheers, Craig

:shock: wow that is so pretty! Thank you for sharing. You are very lucky to be living on a property with finds like that!!

Hi all,

the red appears to shiny for normal colouration, I suspect that the animal has sloughed prematurely, I have seen similar (patchs of shiny spots in normally matt reflective snakes like copperheads) that I have kept in the past.

Certainly the olive with reddish orange on the dorsal aspect of the forebody is not unusal in SEQ D. pssamophis however this specimen is the best example I have seen.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

looks like glossy red paint on it and the leaves are sticking to it as it moved and also looks like a bit of over spray an some of the remaining leaves in the suroundings.
if not very stunning little fella but i think im going to zoom right in that pitcher and have a good look around.
cheers steve.

looks like glossy red paint on it and the leaves are sticking to it as it moved and also looks like a bit of over spray an some of the remaining leaves in the suroundings..

Ill take a stab that, part of the reason it looks "glossy" is because it is wet, and the "leaves"
look like "duck weed" that stuffs often floating in ponds, so perhaps it was in a pond ;)

In all honesty, the snake was found in a large planter box that my wife Gabrielle propogates native plants in. There is also duckweed growing in the large planter box which is what was sticking to the snake. The snake was not painted nor was the colour touched up at all in any program.
The snake was dry when I took the photo and was not glossy from being wet.

Regards,

Craig
AFTCRA Inc.

I dont' think it's been painted unless someone got it to sit very still while they just painted the sides of it (if you look close it still has a green stripe through the red). That one definetly looks very different. I had a neighbor come over hear a while ago told me they had a green tree in a bucket (dunno why they keep bringing them to me but anyway) opened the bucket to find a nice yellow face wipsnake. It was the tan color with a bit of reddish tinge behind it's head but it was only a juvi. The stupid person who found it was trying to pick it up (thinking it was a tree snake), days before he was trying to mess with RRBs (they will never learn).

puddi3

that was a good picture of the whipsnake, just like the one we found on our property (gold coast) today (saturday). where abouts are you? vanessa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back