URGENT:- beardy breeding, help needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmc

Reaction score
Hi all,
My female central beardy has just laid a single egg this afternoon. it is her first clutch of eggs and i was just wondering if it was normal. there does still seem to be eggs in her. is it an urgent issue or should i just treat it normally.
THANKS
Matt

Does the egg look firm and white or soggy and yellowish? If you say thats the only one but she still looks gravid, of course its normal, shes starting to lay her clutch.

What incubation temp and medium are you using?

6 hours seems to be a long time.
i'd be a bit worried, someone with a bit more experience might be able to help you.

the incubator will need to be set at 30-31 degrees and stay at that temp fairly constantly.

if she doesnt lay 2day, how long should i wait till i should take her to a vet.
can anyone recomend a good reptile vet around epping in sydney
thanks.
MATT

Hello

Hello,

How is your female, did she lay anymore eggs yet? How old is she?
I would give her 5-7 days but if she does not lay I would get her in for some x-rays to see what is going on if anything, with her follicles. Do you have everything setup appropriately for her, a laybox of vermiculite & soil about 12 inches deep? Put her in there for a couple of hours per day to encourage her to dig a nest. Sometimes it helps to put a heatlamp over them too to help with muscular contractions.
Do you give calcium on a regular basis? Is she well hydrated?
Let me know if you need any help.
Egg binding can be serious, & seems to happen with the younger or the older. The dragons that are too young may not have fully developed ovaries which are large enough to allow full sized follicles through & the eggs can get lodged, leading to problems. The older dragons can sometimes not have the muscle tone or have nutritional deficiencies that cause egg laying to become difficult.

Tracie

hey, sorry for the late replies. she laid another egg today. just one. i got onto a vet and he said that its normal to drop the eggs over a couple of days. she seems to be a bit more active today aswell. i felt under her belly and there seems to be about 5-6 eggs in her stomach. the eggs in the incbator are at 29degrees steady. im hoping everything is good with my lizard.
if you have anything to say or your opinion, do write something as this is my first clutch of any reptile and im trying to learn as much as i can.

thanks.
matt.

What do the eggs look like.

Make sure your medium is equal and the incubation container is airtight!

Hello

Hello,

So, she is 14 months, ok, so she is laying her first clutch of infertile eggs then. She should hopefully not have any problems. At 16 1/2 inches, she should have developed her ovaries enough by now to pass follicles through at full sized eggs.
How many eggs total has she dropped now? I agree, sometimes, with their first clutch, they will lay a few singles then, the rest of the clutch. It has to do with hormonal levels & the ability of them to go through the muscular contractions depending on the hormone levels at the time.
I hope that she finishes laying the rest. It should be anywhere from 12-25, maybe more. Alot of it is genetics.
The incubator does need some ventilation though, to prevent mold from the humidity setting in on the eggs. The humidity should run from 60-80% but no higher than 90. Do not let the temps get over 88 degrees. Right now, 29 is perfect at 84 degrees.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

hi.
she layed another yesterday so thats three all up at the moment. she is quite active and looks to be in dood shape. ill keep you posted on what happens over the next few days.
cheerio.
matt

Hello

Hello Matt,

Oh great, I hope that she gets all of those eggs laid with no problems!! Keep her hydrated & I hope she isn't going to have any trouble. Keep us posted.:D

Tracie

Hello

Hello Matt,

Geez, poor girl! This is taking forever for her! I hope that she is feeling alright. She doesn't appear to be in distress does she?
Keep us posted. Thanks.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back