Urgent green tree frog help needed!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilegirl2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently bought a new tank with my new green tree frogs with everything needed inside at the expo. The substrate was kitty's crumble. I have now Just noticed that when they catch there crickets they seem to swallow some of the substrate :?!!! Is this ok?

Thanks soo much,
Christina

is the water for them in a dish or a reservoir in the tank?

I don't imagine to should have too much trouble as long as the pieces are not too big. I generally use aquarium gravel with my tree frogs and I've never had any trouble with that.

hey hun I have never seen that kind of substrate used for gtf's they suit a more natural habitat like dirt and water to swim in. I dont know what the kitty crumble is made out of but i'd say get rid of it if they are ingesting it! I have the whole bottom of my tank with just water and rocks as they like to swim as well but its good also to get a little tub and fill it with water (if straight from the tap you will need a water conditioner) and fill the rest with damp clean soil. Im sure they would not have sold them to you that way if it was dangerous for the frogs but still its probably not good for them to eat it :)<br>hope this helps you out a bit :)

If you want an organic and clean substrate use coco/coir peat bricks. the brunnings brand cocopeat works great, holds moisture really well and wont have any nasties in it. that being said if you use soil/peat don't expect a pristine tank, they will distribute it EVERYWHERE. astroturf or large pebbles/stone work well also, depending on the size of your frogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back