urgent help on a mysterious lump

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python_guy44

Reaction score
hey everyone, recently i noticed a rather large buldge in a section of my snake. She hasnt eaten so its not a food item. I took her to a vet but he didnt seem to have much knowledge at all. I got her x-rayed and it came up as a large deposit of gas. It is to far down the body to be the lungs so we dont really know what it is. I had one of my dads friend who has a fairly large knowledge of snakes but he doesnt have a clue on what it is.

Has anyone experianced this before?
If so whatrs the story and how did it end.

Who would be the best vet to go to in sydney (northern beaches preferred)?

PLease respond ASAP because of certain events i get very little net time atm.

ps: incase it helps she is an 4 year old centralian carpet (bredli) who is 210cm long and weighs 2.7 kg

Teri Bellamy - (02) 9604 9792
Shop 6, Harden Street & Avoca Road CANLEY HEIGHTS, NSW 2166
I know it's not Northern Beaches, but Teri might be able to help over the phone.I live in Mona Vale and went all the way to see Teri, as I think she is one of the best.
Also there is
Mona Vale Veterinary Clinic
Mona Vale Road, MONA VALE, NSW
Cheers Artie

Is it your bredli with the problem Jeremy?

She is an 4 year old centralian carpet (bredli)

Ha ha...Woops, must've missed that one. Jeremy, did you end up feeding your Bredli a chicken or quail on the weekend? Maybe that is the cause.?

Yeah brodie...It could be a previous feed tho...I am just making suggestions.

Hey Python guy I was just reading in John Weigel's "care of Aust Reptiles" about intestinal blockages often caused by feeding to many birds to pythons.They can also be caused by dehydration.Often no symptoms are apparent other than a failure to defecate. However one symptom is the presence of gas filled loops in the intestines causing a bulge in the body(sound similar?)Treatment which a vet may recommend would be feeding the snake smaller items covered in vegetable oil or even tube feeding it oil directly. Otherwise an enema(vet administered!) may help followed by antibiotics.
What do you think? Certainly sounds related.Anyway thats my best shot, good luck mate.

Interesting stuff Park! But my god you'd want a reptile expert vet to administer an enema!!! Last time I....errrr.....no, I won't go there :)

C'mon mate, share it with us.We wont laugh,really.

Anyway ''they'' say it's quite pleasant. Is that right Cichlidman?

we bought a juvi coastal that developed a similar sounding prob. Our best guess was constipation, x-rays showed up gas so vet took a sample, drained off 20ml of pus. Lab tests revealed salmonella. 3 weeks of Bactril later, she died. Do you feed thawed? If so, make sure you defrost thoroughly, as the vet said that's what caused our prob. We at least got our money back from the dealer

My guess would be that the semi frozen food item could not be readily digested at the temps the snake was kept at or could thermoregulate to and the food began to rot inside it.
gases causesed by decomposition may kill it if not massive infection. perhaps such infection was miastaken for salmonella? similar symptoms???.....just a guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back