Urgent help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedEyeGirl

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
To my suprise today my mum called me and said"Can you clean the spare tank because", and there was a pause"im bringing home a turtle" A long neck turtle and she always said no more reptiles. so i did what she told me to do and remembered, even dad saying you can have as many pets as you please when your 18 but tham words just ending up in the back of my head. So just got some questions,

What do i feed him/her?

and any other information would be great.
RedEyeGirl

Awesome! What a great surprise! My snake necked turtles ate almost everything including, bloodworms, feeder fish, aquarium plants, seawead, turtle and fish food and sometimes tried on each other. There is a really great caresheet available online for snaked neck turtles and it may even be on this site. Ill take a look around and see if I can find the link.

Any more food information would help!

RedEyeGirl:p
Red eye green tree frogs and a long neck turtle Now!!!:lol:

RedEyedGirl,

I think hornet's question was appropriate. To me, it sounded like your mother found it walking across the road. I must say that I am disappointed that whoever took your mother's money didn't bother spending the time discussing the basics (such as diet) with your mother. Of course, I also think it was wrong of your mother to purchase this turtle and have no idea about how you were going to feed it.

Please ignore Ewan's suggestion of seaweed. The salt will kill freshwater turtles.

The Eastern Snake-Necked Turtle's diet consists of freshwater fish, freshwater yabbies, freshwater prawns, freshwater snails and tadpoles.

For more information, go to:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/AustralianFreshwaterTurtlesandFrogs/

Regards,
Michael.

Sounds like your turtle is going to a fantastically prepared home!

when i kept a eastern snake neck... we fed it blood worms most of the time.. and took it outside to give it a bit of sunlight to harden its shell... we had a something in the tank that it could climb on ummm water filter (i think it was) we had some thing for it to swim it and out of (dont remember wat)

it was dead easy to keep, so you shouldnt have any problems...

i kept him like 5 years ago(then had to sell :(, i wish i still had my little taylor) so cant really remember everything

the one thing i do remember was having to clean his tank a fair bit... got quite smelly.... i think u can get sea snails and they clean the tank.... but i think there ugly and scary :) thats my 2 cents worth.

this is just from memory if anyone notices anything wrong ive written just correct me :)

Just to tell you, its not a snake neck its a long neck, and im just trying to find an answer and for Tatelina i never even knew about it before 4 o clock and that is 20 minutes before i get home.So what do you feed them?Actually, dont worry because i already know someone with 2 long necks.

RedEyeGirl

Look guys im not trying to be nasty or mean its just sometimes, i get a little overreacted and well im really sorry. He is kind of going crazy so should i pick him up or will he bite because you know.

RedEyeGirl

Sorry Brettix But im used to calling them long necks caus that's what turtle man(guy i know) calls them.

RedEyeGirl

RedEyedGirl,

Please ignore Ewan's suggestion of seaweed. The salt will kill freshwater turtles.

Regards,
Michael.

I apologise for my ignorant comment on feeding a fresh water turtle seaweed. I meant the "fresh water" aquarium floating type plant and I couldn't think of its name.

No they don't bite,my ones do nip me when im hand feeding them but dosn't hurt at all.

No, it's ok Ewan and Brettix are you sure, well i only got him today and he scratches my mum but ill give it a go thanks for the info.

RedEyeGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back