US to drop toxic mice on Guam snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
THE loaded mice are scientists' prescription for a headache that has caused the tiny US territory misery for more than 60 years: the brown tree snake.
mf.gif
border="0"
|-
| valign="'middle'" |
| valign="'middle'" |
|-

a2t.img
dDGm8tptvCg

Published On: 22-Feb-13 05:12 PM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

If the snakes have eaten most of the birds, and there are potentially two million of them on the island, what are they eating now? Other food sources? Each other? At some point you'd think they'd run out of food.

Hope this mouse idea works, though.

The mice are dead, so not really all that similar to the cane toad. Unlike some US operations, however, I do hope that there are no "civillian" casualties. Guam's ecosystem sounds like it's shot to hell because of these snakes, so on balance maybe the risk is worth taking.

It seems like a very local strategy anyway, so if something goes awry it won't affect the entire island. I think the concern is that one of these snakes will hitch a ride to an unaffected island (like Hawaii) and wreak havoc there, thus why they are targetting the area around the airforce base.

I do hope the snakes don't suffer much from acetaminophen.

Sounds like they have a major export industry to the pet trade sitting there. Not to Oz obviously but there are plenty of unregulated markets they could supply. Or maybe a food item? Hard to believe there is no value in a few million snakes.

I wonder if they could do anything with the skins.

I've been there... (in the mid 1990's) They are bl00dy big (some of them) and are everywhere.....Maybe that's why I am not fussed on them as pets. They do have a very ugly head...(like me) Total eradication appears not to be an option, only some control of the numbers.. Rat and mouse problems are a thing of the past there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back