User Reputation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there going to be away to deduct points,say they are giving wrong information or they just like being a pain in the **** on every thread.

So how do you get more than a 1/10 displaying?

It sounds like there are x points per block, but only Admin knows what the magic number is.

And some logistics about how it is set up right now:

- You must have at least 30 posts and 10 reputation points before you can start affecting reputation for others
- You can give up to 20 reputation points per day
- You must given at least 20 different people reputation points before you can affect the same person again

Also, "reputation power" is a multiplier for any reputation you leave. You start of with a power of "1" and it goes up based on various factors. At the moment those are:

- For every year you are a member you get an extra 1 point of "reputation power"
- For every 1000 posts you have made you get an extra 1 point of "reputation power"
- For every 100 reputation points you have received you get an extra 1 point of "reputation power"

On top of this, the last 5 ratings are displayed on each member's profile.

I did see someone with -2 a little while ago.... so i guess the mods have the power to deduct points.

i think this rep system is really good, comments should have
a thumbs up/thumbs down option similar to youtube IMO

How many are going to reply to every thread..1 point per 1000 post..Just think-theres so great advice people give,but also false answers.So a thumbs up for the good advice is great.

IMHO-maybe

Systems like this give to much credit to volume of posts and not quality of information. I hate reading dozens of spam posts that really mean nothing, however my rating will never be high enough to make any diference to their rating.

It disadvantages people like me, who are long term forum browsers, but rarely post, unless I feel I have something really significant to contribute. Am I really less valuable than someone who makes 1000 irrelevant posts? I purchase from your sponsors even though I dont have much to say, yet via this rating system ill always be ........

But I guess it wont stop me looking through the forums, and they are a valuable resource. I just hope this doesnt make things worse.

Wait and see I guess.:|

Does this mean those of us with low scores will likely not be taken as seriously when we (try to) give information? I try to be as helpful as possible with peeps because I appreciate people trying to help me in return. But now nobody will care what I have to add. Woe is me :p

Obviously this system doesnt work at all, its been hours now and i still only got one point.

At least introduce a paypal system to make the paying of bribes easier and safer for all !

:)

a agree with jen, i think that only the person receiving the feedback should be able to see the comments made by other users. having said that, i think the system is quite well thought out. i still think it's just going to turn into a popularity competition though.

Obviously this system doesnt work at all, its been hours now and i still only got one point.

At least introduce a paypal system to make the paying of bribes easier and safer for all !

:)

lawl

I don't see the harm in letting others see the comments. As long as they aren't vindictive or overly nasty then it seems comparable to ebay's feedback system

I think the negatives should be private, but perhaps the positives - if the person chooses to leave a comment - could be public. This allows people to see why people are being given good rep.

i don't think others seeing the bad feedback ones are bad it can show just how petty and childish some can be but there should be a away to regain those points back that are taken from you in a childish manner if its not warranted .

i don't think others seeing the bad feedback ones are bad it can show just how petty and childish some can be but there should be a away to regain those points back that are taken from you in a childish manner if its not warranted .
The system is intended to be "self-correcting". That is, people with a higher reputation affect your reputation more. I would expect those who are childish and leave bad reputation for no reason do not have a high reputation themselves and so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Look... I've been thinking while i'm at work...

The petty thing is worrying about what internets people think of us. You guys do realise that there is more to life than your reputation on APS, right? At first i was all like 'Oh no, what if i get a bad rep and people don't listen to me anymore! I can't let rip at the morons anymore.'

But now i'm more like 'I don't care what people think of me, if you don't listen to my advice on the internets then you're the one missing out. I'm still gonna rip on morons.'

Last edited:
i like the system, if people do it right then we will see who actually makes quality posts for the betterment of our hobby.

it's very easy to post 1000 meaningless posts just to get an extra point, which means i can see a lot of people just posting for the sake of posting...a way to reward those who aren't just posting because they have access to a keyboard(as much as i value everyones advice and opinions on this site), but also provide valueble feedback/advice/opinions on threads would be a nice thing, i suppose as like a lil added plus for them...
because there are a lot of people on this website who have given me some great advice on situations and i am really thankful for it but there are also some who haven't and have just made it into a competition as to who is better then who...

but i guess there are pros and cons to all of these kind of things...

whats the harm in trying something new...the worst that can happen is it doesnt go down well with all the members and it gets taken off? seeing as it is only a trial....?

Look... I've been thinking while i'm at work...

The petty thing is worrying about what internets people think of us. You guys do realise that there is more to life than your reputation on APS, right? At first i was all like 'Oh no, what if i get a bad rep and people don't listen to me anymore! I can't let rip at the morons anymore.'

But now i'm more like 'I don't care what people think of me, if you don't listen to my advice on the internets then you're the one missing out. I'm still gonna rip on morons.'

Glad to hear you're still going to be providing the comic relief! :D

- For every year you are a member you get an extra 1 point of "reputation power"
- For every 1000 posts you have made you get an extra 1 point of "reputation power"
- For every 100 reputation points you have received you get an extra 1 point of "reputation power"

I like the socring except the 1000 posts = 1 point. It will encourage the 'spammers' and useless cr@p that gets posted.

I like the socring except the 1000 posts = 1 point. It will encourage the 'spammers' and useless cr@p that gets posted.

Not really. If they post worthless stuff it will just be deleted.
I still have only 1 point :( Just joking I really don't care... Nobody listens to a 11 year old anyway good rep or not :/
Do people feel sorry for me yet? No? Ah well :( haha joking :lol:
EDIT: Woohoo! 7 points :) I finally feel special ;) :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back