Using branches in enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a part of any good quarantine procedure is to clean/disinfect all new equipment.

Personally I find most branches have a significant amount of dirt/residue that needs removing anyway. I always like to remove any loose bark as this definitely hides bugs and critters. It is completely possible to introduce mites from branches especially if you have a lot of geckos in the region frequenting the branches. I have found ants nests in some branches that I wouldn't have known were there until I washed the branch :)

Definitely better to be safe rather than sorry. Give them a good hose off and remove any sharp nasty bits and loose bark and everything should be good. My favourite branches are the good old white eucalyptus. They are smooth and look good in the enclosure.
However, drift wood is definitely the best... they are light and smooth and generally bug free :)

Yeah that is true for geckos, but gecko mites are harmless to their host and do not live on snakes.

Offcourse I remove any sharp bits,dirt etc, but going all out with boiling water and disinfectant is just a waste of time imo as its virtually impossible to 100% sterilise a piece of wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back