using heat cord buried in fake rocks?? OK or fire hazard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudgudgeon

Reaction score
I am considering building a new enclosure for my EWDs.

I have previously built fake rock walls using rendered polystyrene and colored oxides which look great.

I want to build a larger enclosure for them and want to get rid of the ugly heat lamp hanging into the enclosure.

I was thinking of using heat cord laid in a zig zag in the polystyrene I will use for fake rock wall/ basking shelf, then rendering over it. I want a heat source that is effective, and is not visible.

If I do this I am thinking of creating a heat gradient by laying the heat cord close together in one basking shelf/rock and further apart in others so my EWDs can choose what suits them. i will also run a thermostat to keep overall temperature controlled

I have read a few threads about heat mats burning due to a lack of air flow around them, is this also a problem with heat cords??

I have a couple of possible installation methods in mind. I was thinking the heat cord could be used similar to underfloor heating in houses. This is laid in cement bedding under tiled floors, under carpet, and on the underside of timber floors and sandwiched in place with polystyrene insulation sheets. As far as I can tell, heat cords are a similar concept/product.

option 1 use a router (or hot soldering iron) to cut grooves into polystyrene, line grooves with foil tape, lay heat cord in groove, then render over it as per the rest of the rock wall.

option 2 set a ceramic tile (or slate) into the poly styrene, glue heat cord onto tile, then render over the top of it. this method would give me some separation between the heat cord and polystyrene.

Does anyone see a problem with either method?

I don't see that as a very "serviceable option" what if the heat cord fails and you need to replace it?
Have you thought about downlights? they could be fitted so as not to intrude into the enclosure area.

I would still be a little concerned about the trapped heat rendering over it, if you are planning shelves, then cut a tile to suit the shelf and lay the heat cord under it like usual. If you have a rotarty tool (Dremel) they do make tile cutting bits so you can make the tile any shape you like.

Downlights are another great option like mad At arms has already stated, but again, make sure the heat can escape from above the light, thats how a lot of roof fires have started in the past

thanks for the comments guys.

I am not really concerned with service-ability, I think heat cords will be the same as what is used for in floor/under floor heating in buildings. It is frequently installed within concrete slabs and under tiled floors, so in those scenarios it is not serviceable either.

Jax, with the trapped heat, you think it could be a problem with the polystyrene getting too hot? or the basking spot getting too hot?

Just trying to get my head around this more. I might get some heat cord and experiment before I make anything permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back