UV and diamonds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I dont have a UV light for my diamond and she only gets about half hour of sun a fortnight. Shes nearly 2. Will this effect her growth ? I think shes a little limp but when she gets sun she seems to be much stronger. IF inadequate sun is the problem can this be reversed by giving her more sun. She doesn't seem to have any abnormalities with her spine. Any recommendations or similar experiences?

Nice looking diamond mate. I'd put a uv light in just to be safe. I have one for my diamond and I also try and give hime 10 minutes of sun every few days. It can't hurt i guess. Yours does look pretty healthy there though.

Nothing proven about the UV, but I have my Diamonds in an aviary and they sit in the sun from sun up till about 1pm every day.
I had coastal outside and they never sun baked, only came out at night.
The Diamonds do seem to desire the suns rays & benfit from it.

The largest of my females statred showing strange behaviour patterns and some signs of illness untill I moved her outside (I thought she was going to die). Now she is now strong healthy and shows no sight of the strange behaviour or illness. She is about 7 years old, about the time that DPS would start showing. Highly recommended that you give her more natural light.

But then again I have know people to keep them inside without Fake UV light and not have a problem with them for over 20 years.

So who really knows what they need, it seems they do beifit from the suns light.

It's also important that you dont heat her enclosure at night. Diamonds need cool nights. I think providing heat day and night contributes to DPS, as well as overfeeding.

I also think UV tubes are crap and dont really do anything for the snakes. I would set her up outside permanently if i were you.

Ive kept and breed diamonds for a number of years, some I exposed to uv others I did not, the only diference it seemed to make was that uv would increase the intensity of the yellow, all breed with out problems when ever required to.

i also have a diamond and i use the strongest flouresent uv light but i dont take him outside very often i believe and also have been told they need o lot of uv light or need to be kept outside.

dont keep it as hot as a carpet i only keep mine at 26 deg and dont feed them to much they are real gutses .i take mine out in the sun once a week but as someone else said there colors get better with some uv.

I myself have had diamonds for the last 20 years. i have never used a UV light on any of them. some were kept out side and others were kept inside apart from when i take them outside to feed. all the diamonds have remained in great health. the only difference is the ones outside tend to revert back to their wild instints. olso i now of a guy in canberra that has a public reptile exibit, his big female diamond has never had Uv, has been a great breader and as is claimed to be 30 years old at the time. But i do agree they need to be cooled at night, and cycled through the year.

Welcome RustyShadow, any pics of your diamonds>? I agree UV lights are a waste of time, give them natural sunlight when you can or better still keep them ourside.

I agree with rusty shadow and pugsly, I don't use fake UV, and i've had diamond since my 1st herps many moons ago though i do take them outside regulary for some sun. Would love to keep them in an outdoor enclosure but will have to wait until i get back down south as an outdoor cage in the NT would cook em :)

I have a uv light just in case. I figure it can't hurt. I also take him out in the sun once a week. I have actually found in the last few weeks he has been basking on his log right under the uv light and seems to enjoy it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back