UV for Bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all, about a week ago i purtuced 2 baby bluey's. I placed in a order to matt for a UV light and am still waiting for it to arrive. at first i put them outside which allowed them to get their UV, though with the current rain over the last 4 days they hav't been able to get any. If they go without it for another 3 days or so wil this cause them harm?

cheers pete

You shouldn't have any probs pete. I know some people keep blueys without uv and have no probs.

thanks 4 the speedy reply. thats good then thanks. i didn't want them to get hurt cause i was unprepared. cheers man

Indeed, direct sun is not nessesary, i have all my lizards, my snake, my turtles, and my frogs outside regularly for uv, generally in shade (particularly frogs) its far easier than "running from the advancing sun, and I can give them more hours in shade than if i have to keep moving them to prevent overheating. :D

note: they do get direct sunlight when I have time to keep an eye on them. :wink:

The uv tubes are apparently only good for a certain distance as well. I was told at a distance of 30 cm they start to lose their effectiveness.

I still use uv tubes for the frogs because they seek highest perch they are always close to it, but its supplimentary at best. I gave up with using them for turtles very early on, i found it easier to set up outdoor temp ponds when they were small.

I am using the compact repti suns at the moment. I love the ability to get rid of the long tubes

Yeah jonno, it may go through cloud, though they may not like the bottom of their out door enclosure thing flooding :?

Lib, good drainage for permanent outdoor pits should go without saying surely. :? :D

no no no inny. its a temp tub thing that i have to put them in for outside use with them UNTIL the light arrives. and jonno, i'm not home for the 12 hrs a day. i have school. so then there is only 3 hrs of supposid sunlight, and it was raining... :?

Re: RE: UV for Bluey

Liberated said:
no no no inny. its a temp tub thing that i have to put them in for outside use with them UNTIL the light arrives. and jonno, i'm not home for the 12 hrs a day. i have school. so then there is only 3 hrs of supposid sunlight, and it was raining... :?

lol Ok, well maybe drill a few holes in it or use a cage and provide sheltered dry ground. I wouldnt personally rely on uv lighting but then some folk dont bother with uv at all and the animals show no problems from the lack. :D As I said though, direct sun isnt nessesary, cloudy days are fine, just provide a hollow log or something and drill those drainage holes (plastic tub?) :lol:
They will be fine, provided they dont drown! :twisted:
p.s you could just give em outdoor time on weekends? :D

instar said:
Liberated said:

lol Ok, well maybe drill a few holes in it or use a cage and provide sheltered dry ground. I wouldnt personally rely on uv lighting but then some folk dont bother with uv at all and the animals show no problems from the lack. :D As I said though, direct sun isnt nessesary, cloudy days are fine, just provide a hollow log or something and drill those drainage holes (plastic tub?) :lol:
They will be fine, provided they dont drown! :twisted:
p.s you could just give em outdoor time on weekends? :D

Yeah on weekends they get some outside time. It is a plastic tub, though its so handy having something big that i can fill with water. Not for any particular purpose, though just to have it there...u know :roll:

RE: Re: RE: UV for Bluey

Ah well, no drilly tubby then! :lol: A largish cage is good though, easy to make with fine bird wire from bunnings etc. Either way, dont worry, ya bluies will be fine ! :D

I have this garden bed to the side of my house about 25 m long, and its like a tropical forrest. all the plants ferns etc. neways i'm looking at fencing it right off and making it into a big outdoor enclosure. there are heaps of grasshoppers/slugs/all creapy crallies out there 2 so i think they would like it. pluss there is filtered sunlight in some places. its gets sun from about 12pm till 4.30pm so i think it would be adiquate. what do u think?

Sounds like bluey paradise Lib. Just make sure they cant dig their way out, and they are protected from birds/cats from above. Also if its close to the fence, be sure your neighbour/s dont use poisons/snailbaits etc.

The "square" rule applies. Basically if you double the distance from the light source you reduce the amount of light by a factor of 4. If you double it again you are down to an eigth etc. etc.

Even with the very high output UV tubes a couple of hours, just a couple of inches away is the same as a couple of minutes of sun at the equator.

The other thing with UV tubes is that they loose their efficientcy over time. If they are on 12 hours every day they are pretty much useless after 6 months and totally useless after a year.

sxereturn said:
Apparently at 30cm it's basically nil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back