UV lighting in large enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.James

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on the best type of UV tubes or bulbs to used in large enclosures 5-6ft plus! No MVB/heat just strictly UVA-B?

Currently I use sylvania reptistar tubes, but up sizing enclosures soon.

5f737f4bb772132b1f941f5905213a24.jpg what is a mvb bulb? mercury vapour. They arnt full spectrum.

Full spectrum high pressure sodium.

most Hps put out high heat he doesnt want the heat from it

ive sent you link mate didnt post as i dont think i can with the site rules but they are the best in the world

Last edited:
I think the only UVB source (apart from the sun) that can provide UVB at the required distance is a MVB.

I'm not aware of any fluro's that will put out a safe amount of UV in such a large enclosure, the common types are designed for smaller reptile enclosures.

what do you recon boydii?

Not sure Me_vs_Man lol, but if that comment was referring to my post, which WAS directed at the thread starter, ummm was it MR Boyd, no prizes for guessing which animals he MAY keep...and not directed to you, sorry about that...but i "reckon", if its for Boyds Forest Dragons.... Hypsilurus boydii to the uneducated and taking into consideration, it it is such a high enclosure and in my experience, not that experienced I guess , a HPS won't have much effect on heat in a "large" enclosure. I can, although not really knowing that much about the animal in question, comment, I have had great results from this type of lighting.
Cheers....

maybe have a fluro tube on the back of enclosure half way up so they have branches to get closer to it ?

Thought about that but I much prefer to have UV come from above, it looks better & more natural so they can hide in parts of the canopy.

Not sure Me_vs_Man lol, but if that comment was referring to my post, which WAS directed at the thread starter, ummm was it MR Boyd, no prizes for guessing which animals he MAY keep...and not directed to you, sorry about that...but i "reckon", if its for Boyds Forest Dragons.... Hypsilurus boydii to the uneducated and taking into consideration, it it is such a high enclosure and in my experience, not that experienced I guess , a HPS won't have much effect on heat in a "large" enclosure. I can, although not really knowing that much about the animal in question, comment, I have had great results from this type of lighting.
Cheers....

I'm just looking at those HPS type lights, would be great to hear of peoples experiences with these in reptile enclosures?

They look great for growing some sticky green plants! LOL! (google..)

HPS still throw out quite a bit of heat although with an external ballast that heat can be reduced. I think the heat is about the same as for MVB. Also the light has a yellow tinge to it and would not have the same UVB spectrum as for reptiles. Fine for encouraging autumnal flowering but not really the job for reptiles. Here's the "definitive" guide for reptiles:

UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back