UV Lighting Question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond_python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long people leave their UV globes in their enclosures before changing them?? I have had my 2ft UV globe since June last year and it is still going. Is that too long and should I change it. It is still quite bright. Thanks. :)

Yep, its useless now.

They only have a uv life of about 6 months yet they still emit visible light for years.

And i think this should be in general herps ;)

The globe itself will well outlast the UV it produces. Usually around every 6 months they should be changed.

6 months is the reeckomended time to change but i think some last up to 12 months but start declining in the UV it produces from 6 months

dammit so will i alwell better start sucking up to him hehe

Definately six months. I was never told or read anywhere that you should change UV bulbs after 6 months until my vet told me thats what had caused a slight defect in one of my lizards tails.

Simone.

The output of flouresent tubes drops dramatically within the first few months. We do not generally notice the intensity change as it is so slow. You do however notice it when you turn on the new tube for the first time.

This is not just UV tubes either. Those of us who work in flouresently lit offices may notice how bright the lighting is. This is because the required amount of lighting is based on the output of the tubes when they are of a certain age. With new tubes throughout the office it can be very bright indeed. Another place this can be seen is in dual tube fixtures where one tube has been recently replaced.

So new ozbrights every 6 months is the go hey? Thanks for posting this thread otherwise I wouldn't of realised!

Thanks for posting this thread otherwise I wouldn't of realised!

No problems Tim. I never knew but realised my Ozbright isn't so brite anymore and I started thinking about my fluorescent that I have had running for 11 months and whether or not it would still be good. I am sure there are a lot of people who didn't realise this. Thankyou for everyones input. Greatly appreciated. :)

Re: RE: UV Lighting Question...

diamond_python said:

No problems Tim. I never knew but realised my Ozbright isn't so brite anymore and I started thinking about my fluorescent that I have had running for 11 months and whether or not it would still be good. I am sure there are a lot of people who didn't realise this. Thankyou for everyones input. Greatly appreciated. :)

I'm (guessing) they're not going to go to complete waste though as they could be used as a heat/light source for the snakies :)

RE: Re: RE: UV Lighting Question...

I just take mine outside for 30mins every few days for there U.V. They seem to be doing fine. Many experienced people have told me that a few mins a day is better then any U.V lights.

Yeah but I live in Melb so you don't know when the sun will be out ;) :)

They dont need direct sun for uv Diamond, they still get it on cloudy days, or just direct daylight. :wink: This is why they tell you to use sunblock even on cloudy days. :wink:

diamond_python wrote:
Quote:

No problems Tim. I never knew but realised my Ozbright isn't so brite anymore and I started thinking about my fluorescent that I have had running for 11 months and whether or not it would still be good. I am sure there are a lot of people who didn't realise this. Thankyou for everyones input. Greatly appreciated.

I'm (guessing) they're not going to go to complete waste though as they could be used as a heat/light source for the snakies

tim fluro lights produce very little heat so this would be a bad application for the old uv bulbs but as 4 lightting it will b fine

As Simon said once, after oz brights are used up UV wise they make great heatlamps for monitors.

Re: RE: Re: RE: UV Lighting Question...

mr-magic said:
tim fluro lights produce very little heat so this would be a bad application for the old uv bulbs but as 4 lightting it will b fine

Unless I'm mistaken, Ozbrights are used for heating, lighting & UV which is their main attraction since they do everything in 1. My beardies love basking under it and I've sure as hell burnt myself on it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back