V.Gilleni diet questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I recently got some little pygmy mulga monitors and was wondering what food is best for them.

From what i have read their natural diet consists mainly of geckos, is that true? if so what sort of aprrox. percentage of their food intake would they make up?

I have plenty of thawed AHG's available would they be good for food?
Also how much fish can they eat?
Am i better off giving them a diet higher in vertebrates or doesnt it make any differance?

Mine love spiders the best buy far. My 2 mainly live off crickets, woodies and spiders. Soon they will be getting meats when they are a bit larger.

Kane

Currently im feeding mine as much meat(chicken,turkey,rat,fish etc.) as they eat during the day and then giving them a few inverts to eat early in the night(spiders, moths roaches etc.)

I have no knowledge of their wild habits beyong limited reading but i would imagine they would eat a fair amount of geckos(mainly tails) from the start, does that sound right?

In rept. Aust. mag. Sdaji wrote that he feeds his on about 80 roaches. I feed my ackies roaches 6 days and on the seventh they get cut up bits of pinkie mice.

That's 80% 'roaches, not 80 roaches ;)

I'm not aware of any studies which have been done on the diets of wild Varanus gilleni. I have little doubt that it varies massively across their range and from season to season. They're often found in habitats shared by lots of large spiders and/or lots of geckoes and I have no doubt they are very keen to eat as many of both as they can get hold of. For a variety of reasons I personally like to feed them mostly invertebrates, but it is quite possible that they'd thrive just as well on a diet of mostly geckoes. My results have been nothing short of spectacular, so basing their diet on vertebrates is certainly not necessary.

go the bugs,feeding gecks is risky and poor geckos,lol,they thrive on invertebrates,maybe give them the odd pinky if there big enough

What are the risks of feeding them thawed geckos?

PS. thanks for the repiles guys :)

mine eat mainly roaches but the small ones a bit finicky so he gets spiders and moths when i can find them. they have both eaten chicken on the one ocation i offered it to them(dusted with supplements) and it did them no harm. it was actually left over roast chicken which i was using to scent some roaches as an attempt to get the smaller of the two to like roaches a bit more.

Andrew

thawed is a different story,but why feed geckos and is that legal,im saying if it was me i wouldnt use geckos to feed them,mine r happy with maily crickets and roaches,with the odd huntsman that happens to find itself in there,lol,and a little meat,how come u want to feed them geckos,r the insects hard to supply up your way,or im guessing that u dont have to fork out for food with the gecko,s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back