Various ID's Needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palex134

Not so new Member
Reaction score
_MG_3658.jpg

Any idea as to what this is? While taking the photo, I assumed it was a Hemidactylus sp., however upon closer examination, I believe it to be Gehyra dubia? It appears to resemble a Gehyra species, but also has similar pattern to a few local Oedura. I've kept Oedura species before, so I don't think that's correct, but this specimen baffles me.
_MG_3694.jpg

Cause of death? Found decomposing in the 32degree sun.
_MG_3660.jpg

A beautiful insect. ID would be nice, though not urgent
_MG_3656.jpg

Is this a Lepidodactylus lugurbis? I kept a few for almost 5 years, so you think I'd be able to ID them in the wild right?^^^
_MG_3569.jpg

Cryptoblepharus sp?^
_MG_3672.jpg

_MG_3677.jpg

_MG_3680.jpg

Yes,
I know it's a kookaburra. However, 2 ID's needed. 1. What is it feeding on? I witnessed him feed on a few occasions, and I hope those were worms and not Anomalopus or Lerista species.
_MG_3692.jpg

2. Finally, what the heck is it doing here? Playing dead? It would kink it's neck and expand a wing, finally to topple over.

The last pic it is preening its feathers most likely. ie spreading oil around.

Sorry cant help with the ID's, but love that 1st gecko!
Also yea the Kookaburra is just eating worms, and as Dan19 said, most probably preening or stretching, but you say it toppled over?
I also find dead cane toads with no obvious cause of death, heaps lately around my house, they look alive though.

Aight thanks for the help. I was curious as to if it was feeding on worms or some species of fossorial skink, since it was so hot and sunny. Usually I only see worm, at least where I grew up, out in the rain. It hasn't rained here for a week.

Also that could be what the Kooaburra was doing. After doing that for a few seconds, it would slowly fall to the ground then pop back up and continue feeding. It was probably just preening then.

1st is an Asian House Gecko.
2nd is a Cane Toad.
Both pests.

3rd is a type of Cycad.

4th Looks to be Lepidodactylus pumilus.They are further North than Townsvillie
but it could have hitched a ride down from the Cape.

Last edited:
The more I look at it, the more it appears to be just a big H. frenatus, but a very nicely patterned and colored specimen.

I know it's a Cane Toad, I was looking for an ID on what would have killed the individual.

Hemidactylus have all digits clawed, whereas Gehyra have the inner digit unclawed. Do you have any pics showing that? The animal in your pic doesn't look hemidactyloid to me.

Your Cryptoblepharus is in the C. virgatus group. This group contains three species, and i think they're all found around the Townsville area. You'll need to look at the scales on the feet next time you see one!

Stewart

3rd is a herbivorous katydid, and I think the skink is Cryptoblepharus virgatus
... beaten to it.

hi Palex 134
the gecko in the 1st pic is an eastern dtella (gehyra dubia)
no idea why the toad died, but who cares LOL
3rd pic is a leafy katydid (paracaedicia serrata)
4th pic is indeed a mourning gecko (lepidodactylus lugbris)
5th is a fence skink (cryptoblepharus virgatus)
& last is a blue winged kookaburra

I'm pretty sure that's a laughing kookaburra, not a blue-winged kookaburra.

Stewart

Thanks for all the ID's. In the time I checked my lecture times, I had a bunch of new responses. You guys sure get it done quickly here.

Anyways,
I'm bummed I didn't recognize the Gehyra when I first saw it. I had been looking out for them for a few days, and I carelessly assumed that all the geckos on my wall would be Hemidactylus.

Thanks for the Crytoblepharus ID as well. I had assumed it was a Carlia skink until I encountered one 20 feet up my wall and then it threw me off.

Thanks for all the ID's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back