Varnished Driftwood: Yay Or Nay?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
G'day guys, just reading some of the DIY threads & noticing people using various sealants & exterior paints & enamels for their enclosures, I was wondering:

I have a beautiful piece of driftwood that's been in my possession for over 10 years now. About 5 years ago, I had plans on making it a lamp/wall feature in my living room so I varnished it. I used a water based aerosol varnish that I bought from an arts store & gave the driftwood about 3 coats of spray...like I said, 5 years ago.

Now I'm in the midst of building an enclosure for green tree frogs & I was wondering would it be safe to use that driftwood with the frogs?
It would be mounted on the back wall of the enclosure as a climbing feature & none of it would be touching or submerged in water.
I'm also taking into consideration the high humidity & closeness to the heat light.

Do you honestly think it would be safe to use OR should I just not take the chance at all?

Cheers.

Honestly I think after 5 years it would be fine...but mostly because it was water-based varnish. I am not 100% sure though. In all honesty I'd give it a go in there for a few weeks if it were me. I doubt fumes would be a worry after that long and the varnish should have aged and well and truly set enough to be near heat in my opinion. A coat of something like Pondtite over it to be extra safe might do ok, too. Good luck with it if you decide to go ahead. :)

Idid this to a piece of drift wood 10 years ago and things are still comong out of it even sprayed with top of descent several times
Trouble is it looks fantastic

Hmm maybe not then if 'things are still coming out of it'. You mean insects or chemicals?

Coat it with polyurethane, leave it outside until the smell is 100% gone and it will be fine to use.

Cheers for the input...I'm kinda willing to take the chance HOWEVER I might leave the driftwood outside for a week & let the natural elements leach it a bit before installing.

Insects small crawling bugs, the water based varnish is fine as has a low odour that disappears in a matter of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back