Vegan/Vegetarian diet - is it $$$?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cement: I love my food too much mate. I'd rather take the miniscule increase in cancer risk and enjoy all the world has to offer than force myself to eat the stuff my boss does (he is vegan and I have personally tasted some of his vegan broth he calls lunch :lol: ) I have read a few articles that state that food doesn't significantly alter cholesterol levels in cats but I haven't seen one in humans. I think it is directly related to what % of the primary energy source is derived from fat. Do you have any articles of trials done in humans (I'm sure there would be plenty - I'd look myself but I have some chicken lasagne with my name on it :lol: )?

I always love how vegetarian/vegan threads turn into a competition....

KR asked a simple question really - cna he lower his cholesterol by going vego or vegan for a short time. I think once he found out beer and wine weren't vegan that left him with vegetarian.

Once he found out meat isn't the actual cause of cholesterol, he cut of vegetarinaism too... Which, in all rights, is the correct thing to do - balance...

You have to wonder (would need twins, identical) if cutting out a source of easily absorbed iron from meats would be healthy in adolescents.

I'm sure there has been studies done on it, but I wonder how many long term studies have worked on brain development, muscle function etc etc in depth - the real problem is you'd need twins - one a vegetarian, one not!

I'm not really sure what the results would be. I could hypothesise if you like :)

Does this help:

"Lowering Serum Cholesterol

Numerous controlled clinical trials have found that increasing intake of viscous dietary fibers, particularly from legumes (dry beans, peas, and lentils) (11) and oat products (12-16) decreases serum total and LDL cholesterol. Such findings led the FDA to approve health claims like the following on labels of foods containing at least 0.75 g/serving of soluble fiber from whole oats: “Soluble fiber from foods such as oat bran, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease” (17). Supplementation with viscous fibers, such as pectin, guar gum, and psyllium, has also been found to decrease total and LDL cholesterol levels when compared to low-fiber placebos (14, 18-21). Although many of these studies examined relatively high fiber intakes, a meta-analysis that combined the results of 67 controlled trials found that even a modest 10 g/day increase in viscous fiber intake resulted in reductions in LDL-cholesterol averaging 22 mg/dl (0.57 mmol/L) and reductions in total cholesterol averaging 17 mg/dl (0.45 mmol/L) (14)."

Source: Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

Last edited:
Eat kangaroo, low in fat, environmentally friendly and tastes bloody great!

I wonder how many people here have actually studied and done a full vegan or vegetarian diet for longer then 2 weeks?

To go a step further a full vegan raw food diet, cures more cancer then anything.
If you eat raw vegetarian,food you WILL have more energy then you have ever had, a lot of niggly little complaints (and big ones to for that matter) will heal up.
There is no problem with getting that full feeling, you can eat as much of it as you like! It will not put on fat.
This whole notion that food regulates your cholesterol is a load of crap. What regulates cholesterol is water. Cholesterol is a fat that lines the cell and its job is to stop fluid from leaving the cell. When people don't drink enough water (dehydrate) like 99% of the population, the body steals water from certain cells to keep functioning. first the skin, muscles then organs and lastly the brain.
cholesterol builds up around the cells to stop/slow the water from exiting.

The answer is simple drink more water to lower cholesterol.

As for training on this diet, I can vouch for the fact that anyone who takes this diet on WILL (once the detox stage is over) have more energy therefore be able to train harder and for longer, gaining more strength. Especially younger people.

You don't need meat, sugar, take away, steroids or beefcake formula to reach peak strength and fitness... in fact, in reality, they are a handbrake.

I already said I was vegetarian for 13 years.

I think you'll find Australian meat hormone and steroid free for the most part.
I think you will find the complete opposite, only a very small percentage is organic!!!
and Im not telling people to stop eating meat. just in my personal experience I find I feel a whole lot better when I don't eat it!!!

I wonder how many people here have actually studied and done a full vegan or vegetarian diet for longer then 2 weeks?

To go a step further a full vegan raw food diet, cures more cancer then anything.
If you eat raw vegetarian,food you WILL have more energy then you have ever had, a lot of niggly little complaints (and big ones to for that matter) will heal up.
There is no problem with getting that full feeling, you can eat as much of it as you like! It will not put on fat.
This whole notion that food regulates your cholesterol is a load of crap. What regulates cholesterol is water. Cholesterol is a fat that lines the cell and its job is to stop fluid from leaving the cell. When people don't drink enough water (dehydrate) like 99% of the population, the body steals water from certain cells to keep functioning. first the skin, muscles then organs and lastly the brain.
cholesterol builds up around the cells to stop/slow the water from exiting.

The answer is simple drink more water to lower cholesterol.

As for training on this diet, I can vouch for the fact that anyone who takes this diet on WILL (once the detox stage is over) have more energy therefore be able to train harder and for longer, gaining more strength. Especially younger people.

Before you ask if i have any authority on the matter or personal experience on it, i'll just say no, i'm a student and i'm still learning my stuff, and personal experience does not really qualify anyway for the reasonings below.

Every lifestyle choice has it's pros and cons, period, and it would be nearly impossible to pinpoint one as being the best for a particular individual factoring in genetics, health background and current activity levels. Saying "I'm on a vegan diet and incredibly healthy, so you should do it too" is a rather preposterous statement, because what works for someone may not work for another.

I've read through a few theories on vegan diets supposedly curing cancer, but evidence of this is rather skewed, you see, people who undergo drastic changes like this tend to live healthier, i.e. they start exercising, watching their weight, cutting out processed foods, etc. Although i won't refute this hypothesis, I'd really appreciate a link to a peer reviewed journal article which proves what you are stating which singles out a vegan diet as a cancer cure. If I'm wrong, hey, you learn something new everyday eh?

Correction, what lines cell walls is a phospholipid bi-layer. Cholesterol is one of the chemical structures formed after lipid digestion, which includes chylomicrons, HDL, LDL, etc. The human body produces cholesterol naturally, which is why it is not an essential part of the human diet, and excess from dietary intake would cause an inbalance and ultimately issues if severe enough.

Last edited:
I think you will find the complete opposite, only a very small percentage is organic!!!
and Im not telling people to stop eating meat. just in my personal experience I find I feel a whole lot better when I don't eat it!!!

So if it's not organic it has steroids and hormones in it? I call bs

Well, there are heaps of opinions in this threat, his mine, dont get offended,

Its not that meat is a problem, its the fact that most meat from the supermarkets doesnt come from a wild animal or even a farm animal. Humans are meat eaters by nature, but in our past, we only ate red meat at irregular intervals and definitely not every day. Its only in modern society that the increase in wealth has meant that people can afford to eat like this. It is more important that humans have a variety of foods.

A large amount of Pork in particular are from animal factories (not farms) where animals are fed all sorts of terrible foods which causes them to get sick. They feed them drugs to counter the deteriating health conditions of the animals which is from the lack of correct vitamins and the cheap foods fed. They are also given growth hormones.

Its pretty common knowledge the health risks associated with eating large amounts of meat and how things like bowel cancers are much higher in people who eat lots of meat. Its been speculated that the drugs fed to the animals and the fact that our bodies cant handle high red meat diets are possible causes of disease.

Im not trying to convert you, or ram propaganda down your thought, but merely trying to show you that being vegetarian is more than doing it because you dont like idea of pain. And there is more to the debate than 'but meat eating is normal'. I also just feel that the whole industry has got to the point where animals are treated as a commodity and not as living things. I dont like the idea and dont think its very humane to be part of an industry that eats things off a conveyer belt. In my opinion, if your going to eat meat, do it right and buy free range where the animal has been given a quality of life and are much healthier for you.

Last edited:
Check this website out.. some impressive results with out meat or dat dere celltech.

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Great place for meal plans and nutrition info.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Lmao, miscer?

Want lower Cholesterol just take Clenbuterol works amazingly well

LOL...

I will get back to all of you later, just driving from the Fraser coast back to bris, lots of replies!

I've raised beef cattle, show cattle (which need to be as big healthy as possible!), sheep and chooks. Bred droughties, santas and brahmans for EXPORT, shown cattle that have won awards and been around the industry for a long time. Didn't feed anything a hormone or steroid cocktail...

Last edited:
I might add as well, for protein, meat is not necessarily best.
Spirulina is the single highest protein content food in the world

Well might I add.. protein comes in two basic forms... complete and incomplete... Animal proteins are the only way to get instant complete proteins.. this is why (as previously stated) vegos have to eat several protein sources at a time to make up their complete protein requirements....;)

And to the OP.. balance is the key.. not complete removal.... just cut back on the take aways and u'll be fine.... but it looks like your getting that idea anyway...

I believe Australians (yes us cos we have so much great yummy meat) eat far too much meat. Every meal has to have meat, whatever you eat has to have a meat content. I think we underate the great vegies we have access too and also a lack of knowledge on how to cook veg/legumes. But I also think people giving up meat to spare animals pain are barking up the wrong tree. Cows ect are only here to feed humans, it's not as if there are cow herds running free and frolicking in their natural habitat. Everything dies, you me and animals get used to it.

just because u feel better doen't mean the meat has hormones and/or steroids added...?

I dont like the idea and dont think its very humane to be part of an industry that eats things off a conveyer belt. In my opinion, if your going to eat meat, do it right and buy free range where the animal has been given a quality of life and are much healthier for you.

lol.... no seriously... lol..... dont get me wrong.. i agree with what u said about eating too much meat n all.... but i'm gonna throw it out there that you've never lived on a farm or had a lot of farming background ay..?

Last edited:
I went vegan for a month as a bet. i lost 6 kilos. My exception to the rule was chicken breasts and snack wraps from maccas haha. there is f*%& all to eat and i was always tired. nonetheless skinnier. Might do it again..

I haven't read this whole thread but why not just choose really lean cuts of meat? Remove skin from chicken etc. Its what I always do... 100g of red or 125g white meat and make up the rest of the meal with salad/veggies. Like you I dont wanna give up eating meat either as I struggle to keep my protein intake up as it is but I always try to make my meals more about the veggies or the salad so that its better for me.

You can still eat big macs and chicken wraps for KFC and be a vegetarian. You're not going to tell me there's any meat in McDondalds are you?

I went vegan once.... Worst 22 minutes of my life.

Meggz, I do eat extremely lean cuts of meat. Everything I buy is heart smart and anything that is left on it in the way of fat is cut off with my trusty knife. Fat makes me feel gross thinking about eating it! I'm going to try and cut down the amount of meat I eat, but not completely. My gf has wanted to do this for ages but a meal without chicken or meat is pretty much bland to me, but I'll give it a go...

Does anyone know if eating certain things can change readings even if I adhered to the fasting regulations??

You can still eat big macs and chicken wraps for KFC and be a vegetarian. You're not going to tell me there's any meat in McDondalds are you?

I went vegan once.... Worst 22 minutes of my life.

Haha! 22 minutes of agony I bet... !

Slim, I'm not going to go into my life on a forum, but I have been forced to follow strict diet, and learn about foods and nutrition. One thing for sure is,it is extremely hard to get straight out facts. The major medical associations have their agendas as do the drug companies that make the tablets that we take.
Everyone here making a statement is right, it is work out what works for you.
The reason eating a 3 kg or whatever bag of nuts will make you fat, is a pretty ridiculous argument, even for you mate;) If someone ate a 3 or 2 or even 1 kg bag of nuts they would probably be in hospital wouldn't they? They might even need surgery to remove the blockage because I doubt they would s### it out!
If you are interested then have a google at RAW FOOD FOR LIFE, and also a book called YOUR BODIES MANY CRIES FOR WATER. Plenty of doctors and science involved here.

Raw organic food doesn't have to be boring or tasteless, or repetitive. For some who love to knock the thought of eating vegan or vegetarian it is just all to hard to spend the time looking into it. In fact it involves a COMPLETELY different mind set, and the learning never stops. Most people come to this through disease and illness and at a loss, as their doctors can't help and the pills have many side effects. Sure there are those who say "to hell with it, I am here for a good time not a long time, so will eat and drink whatever i like!" and that's fine, but if anyone really wants to learn about what makes them tick and not only reach but maintain good health and fitness (the best they can be) for as long as possible then the ultimate diet is raw organic food.

If you do research you will find plenty of evidence that good quality food that agrees with us as individuals on a nutritional level is all the medicine we need plus the odd vitamins. There are many doctors now beginning to change their views about food. For the record I am not vegan or vegetarian, but I do eat a lot of vegan and vegetarian and raw food.

I am not out to preach or persuade, personally I don't give a stuff about anyone that I don't know. But the truth is out there :rolleyes: :lol:

Just not in mainstream society.

Cement: I love my food too much mate. I'd rather take the miniscule increase in cancer risk and enjoy all the world has to offer than force myself to eat the stuff my boss does (he is vegan and I have personally tasted some of his vegan broth he calls lunch :lol: ) I have read a few articles that state that food doesn't significantly alter cholesterol levels in cats but I haven't seen one in humans. I think it is directly related to what % of the primary energy source is derived from fat. Do you have any articles of trials done in humans (I'm sure there would be plenty - I'd look myself but I have some chicken lasagne with my name on it :lol: )?

yes mate, have a look at 'your bodies many cries for water' its a book written by a doctor, very scientific.

Last edited:
My cousins are vegans and they eat the most tastless food ever known to man I dont know why anyone would become a vegan there are essential vitamins in Meat If we where meant to be vegetarians or vegans god wouldnt of created cows and the rest of the animals we get meat from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back