Velvet worms breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Well its happened, my velvet worms have reproduced. Counted two young and there will probably be more. Very rare occurance in captivity so i'm stoked.

they are like 5-6mm long so my camera wont get pics of them but will try anyway.

are they just like miniature velvet worms or do they go through a metamorphosis?

just minature velvet worms, grey at the moment.

They're pets. Congrats Hornet, I'd love to keep these guys one day....
Do they shed?

Got any pics of the adults? what are they like to keep?

AWESOME news Hornet!!
I am really pleased they are breeding for you! I hope Bryonys' are doing as well as yours :)
well done!
they eat termites, small spiders, beetles and what ever other insect type things they come across when they are hungry. the ones that Hornet has are from canberra region, and are a deep turquoise colour. different regions have slightly different species/colours of velvet worms.

Hornet's away guys, but as far as I know.. they eat crickets/roaches/grasshoppers/mealies. They get to a dark navyish colour. They're hard to keep cause they need a dark and moist area happening, and they hunt by shooting sticky mucus on their prey, so their enclosures get dirty quickly.

EDIT: beaten to it!

hey guys, nets down but on a public comp atm. Counted 5 last night and all seem to be doing very well. I feed prekilled roaches but crickets can be fed live as they dont burrow and will be easly found by the worms.

Pics hornet...please.....I keep popin back.....we wanna see
jumping-smiley-017.gif

well have now counted 7 healthy looking young. Will try and snap pics and post when nets back up. Will also consider parting with a few once they start to grow.

congrats, but...what are these velvet worms you speak of....LOL...any pics????

wiki pic

Attachments

• 250px-31-Velvet_Worm.jpg
    250px-31-Velvet_Worm.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back