venomous snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Austrelaps said:
learn as much as you can about the elapids of Australia (particularly those found in your area), learn about their venom and its components and how to treat a bite.
Then, get out in the bush and look for some snakes yourself. Start with the smaller less venomous species and as your confidence improves move onto the larger stuff like red bellies.
I guarantee you will learn alot more about the snakes through personal experience than through any course, not to mention the fun and satisfaction you will have of finding snakes yourself in the wild.
Just my opinion.

I feel obliged to add a note of caution if you are handling wild elapids in the bush. Take some precautions in case you do get bitten. Preferably do not do it on your own and if you are within mobile phone range carry one. Think in advance of what you would do if bitten, which hospital/doctor you would go to and how you would get there.

The last thing we herpetoculturists need is more herper statistics as it will only result in the laws being tightened.

Hi
dont be afraid to go up and speack to John as he is very easy going if you lived down south i could have helped you out with the handling as i have blacks and tigers and browns
mick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back