Vermiculite : Water Ratio

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yann

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am about to start my first breeding experience ever, with my female marbled velvet gecko about to lay.

I've done a bit of research on this site and books and very little reference is made on the medium:water ratio.

From what I've gathered, the standard medium is vermiculite, and the ratio is 1:1 in weight. The way I understand it means mixing 30g of vermiculite with 30g of water for example.

I bought my vermiculite at my local Bunnings store, it seems to be standard vermiculite but can't say if it's co**** or fine grade (I read some keepers have had trouble with fine grade vermiculite)

Anyway, when applying the 1:1 ratio in weight, the result seems pretty dry. Is this normal? I was expecting something more moist as some keepers use moss as a medium and they say they saturate the moss in water, then squeeze the excess out and that should do the job. In my mind, it should be quite moist, if not damp. The result I got from mixing vermiculite with water at 1:1 ratio seems really dry compared to that.

I'm afraid my gecko will not lay in this as it is too dry, but I don't want to add too much water in case it would drown the eggs...

Can keepers and breeders give their opinion on this...?
The thread might also help other people as it is dedicated to the medium:water ratio, not to my breeding experience.
Also, can keepers and breeders give their opinion on the different techniques (laying sites and incubating medium) used for different animals, as I guess you don't breed geckos like you breed pyhons...?

Thanks everyone.

Cheers.

A 1:1 weight ratio of vermiculite and water is correct. The vermiculite stores the water well and does not feel as damp as you may expect. This ratio works well for incubation.
For a laying site I prefer a small container with moist sand or sphagnum moss or combination of both.

Thanks mathew,

I use a small container with verciculite and water at ratio of 0.8:1 and will use 1:1 for incubation...

Anyone else...?

Thanks mathew,

I use a small container with verciculite and water at ratio of 0.8:1 and will use 1:1 for incubation...

Anyone else...?

I use a highly scientific approach to getting the laying medium at the correct moisure level;

Stick your finger in the tub of damp vermiculite. If it feels moist leave it lone, if it feels dry add a splash of water...

Incubation roughly 0.8:1.0 water:verticulite

ratios

l use 100% water 0% vermiculite....worked for me for the 8-10 years....cheers solar 17 [Baden]....now lets hear from those arguing grades [sizes] percentages water volumes etc. where to buy it and where not to.......

Yeah i agree with Solar, poached eggs are much better done with just water,

The water method is pretty straight forward and achieves the desired outcomes.

D

I use water and vermiculite 1:1 mixture for both laying sites and incubating, Havn`t had a problem yet. I think the best way is whatever works best for you.

l use 100% water 0% vermiculite....worked for me for the 8-10 years....cheers solar 17 [Baden]....now lets hear from those arguing grades [sizes] percentages water volumes etc. where to buy it and where not to.......

I think 100% water laying medium for marbled velvet geckos may be a little too wet....

Thanks guys...

Solar, I read many of your posts and i understand you're a big fan of the 100% water method, i believe because it works for you.

Can you explain it to me (i never heard of it before reading your different posts) and does it work for any reptiles?
I.ve got geckos, beardies and MD pythons.

On the other hand, a lot of people use some kind of medium with water and they all seem to be pretty happy with it...

Cheers

The water method put simply is the eggs suspended on a plastic grate type material over water.

This can be achieved by a sealable container, a piece of appropriately sized plastic and a material to suspend it, i.e. cut pieces of PVC pipe which are then placed in an upright position.

i've experimented with various mediums but never for lizards. With your vermiculite mix, it will appear dry but go by the feel. squeeze a portion it in your hand and it should clump and stick nicely. If water drips out theres to much there and if it doesn't clump or falls loosely there is not enough water. I do it more by feel these day.

i used to partially burry the egg in the medium, now if i use that method i sit a grate on and the egg on that grate so it doesn't touch the medium. But like solar 17 said water is easier and less effort to arrange. Tried the water method last season after seeing baden's setup which was awesome and simple and it worked flawlessly. People that make out water is hard obviuosly haven't tried it.

I've never used perlite but with some woma eggs hopefully this season i'll do 1/2 with perlite and the other 1/2 water. It's all about giving it a go then using a technique that works for your situation.

Happy experimenting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back