Very expensive glass for enclosure??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Kaos

Reaction score
I recently talked to a bloke running a glass business, and he quoted me $220 for 2 bits of glass to fit an enclosure 1.2m x 1m, and runners. It seemed like it was way, way overpriced. Can people with experience with building their own give me a hand?

For that size I think I paid $80. If you shop around you can do better. It's surprising how big the differences are in the glass business.

I went to my local dump shop and got some old windows. I removed the frames and used the glass. There is no shame!!!

Presuming you are using 5 or 6mm float glass, price should be around $80-$90 per square metre. Around $100 for both pieces. As far as runners go, depends on if he's quoted aluminium or PVC. PVC should be about $25 for your job but ally would set you back around $100 for all the bits and pieces that go with it.

Thanks guys, I thought he was ripping me off. Guzzo, good job mate ;) Free stuff is awesome!

Thanks guys, I thought he was ripping me off. Guzzo, good job mate ;) Free stuff is awesome!

I got my glass then built an enclosure to suit......unless you know someone who can cut glass. I just scored 4 pieces of 1200 x 1000 8ml glass a bloke was going to throw out......I hate waist...........Just always be careful of snakes when poking around the dump! haha...actually thats not even funny

Glass literally cost nothing.
Just the mark up. So finding the right people can drastically lower the cost.

Where are you, I found the best glass place in surry hills in Sydney, everywhere else quoted between $5-600. I got it from them for $180.

i got 6 pieces of 5mm glass 650mmx540mm for around $120 with polished and beveled edges from windsor glass on macquarie st

i got 16 pieces of glass 600x500 and another 8 pieces of glass 700x600 and all up it was $350.50 thats 5mm glass then i pain an extra $80 to get it posted for Victoria somewhere to wagga wagga nsw then and extra $60 for the plastic runners but then i got a price at a few local places and they wanted double just for the glass so look around and you might find somewhere nice and cheep :D

Direct from the manufacturer is the way to go, provided you want a 3660 x 2440mm sheet of glass ;)

I live in the (very) eastern suburbs of Melbourne, does anyone know a good place?

i got 6 pieces of 5mm glass 650mmx540mm for around $120 with polished and beveled edges from windsor glass on macquarie st
How long ago was that? I went to them when I made my first enclosure and they were really rude and basically said they don't do anything like that. So I ended up going to Macquarie Towns Glass in McGraths Hill

I got my glass then built an enclosure to suit......unless you know someone who can cut glass. I just scored 4 pieces of 1200 x 1000 8ml glass a bloke was going to throw out......I hate waist...........Just always be careful of snakes when poking around the dump! haha...actually thats not even funny
l have done this on several occasions....bought a single aluminium sliding door off ebay for $15-20 /2010mm x 600-700 then take the edging off and build backwards [enclosure to suite the glass]....floor to celing [if required] enclosure very cheap ...solar 17 [Baden]

How long ago was that? I went to them when I made my first enclosure and they were really rude and basically said they don't do anything like that. So I ended up going to Macquarie Towns Glass in McGraths Hill
About 12 months ago. I was in the area so called in to see them. There's a couple in penrith I'm about to get prices from for my next enclosure

i got 16 pieces of glass 600x500 and another 8 pieces of glass 700x600 and all up it was $350.50 thats 5mm glass then i pain an extra $80 to get it posted for Victoria somewhere to wagga wagga nsw then and extra $60 for the plastic runners but then i got a price at a few local places and they wanted double just for the glass so look around and you might find somewhere nice and cheep :D

Do you know where this was from , I am in Victoria and looking for cheap glass.

i love the idea of the aluminium sliding door and taking the glass out. Keep in mind the glass in doors is normally safety glass and cannot be cut.

i love the idea of the aluminium sliding door and taking the glass out. Keep in mind the glass in doors is normally safety glass and cannot be cut.

This can be cut at an Engineering Facility which has an onsite Water Jet Cutter. Just like a laser cutter, but this uses water with suspended grit to cut through anything. Ask for a quote but expect to pay about $100-$200 for cutting. Cheaper if you are doing a bulk amount ofcourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back