Very expensive glass for enclosure??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever considered using a panel of glass pool fencing, it's toughened. I can't really remember the dimensions but it cost $111.00 Quite thick and obviously heavy (no good to go on tracking), may have been about 12mm thick as well. An option for a larger type of enclosure.

Has anyone ever considered using a panel of glass pool fencing, it's toughened. I can't really remember the dimensions but it cost $111.00 Quite thick and obviously heavy (no good to go on tracking), may have been about 12mm thick as well. An option for a larger type of enclosure.

Density of Toughened Glass: 2500-2800kg/cubic meter
Based off a top end panel size (or total panel area) of 1000 x 1000mm you are looking at a weight of 33kg (12mm glass)

That's even heavy for large enclosures, sliding or not ;)

This can be cut at an Engineering Facility which has an onsite Water Jet Cutter. Just like a laser cutter, but this uses water with suspended grit to cut through anything. Ask for a quote but expect to pay about $100-$200 for cutting. Cheaper if you are doing a bulk amount ofcourse.

Yeah i was meaning at a glazier or cutting it yourself, by the time you spend that on getting it cut, would probably work out the same as just buying it from a glazier

Yeah i was meaning at a glazier or cutting it yourself, by the time you spend that on getting it cut, would probably work out the same as just buying it from a glazier

Yea lol

This was more intended that if you were contemplating cutting safety glass that this would be the only way.

6mm safety glass 1350mm x 840mm @ $5 a sheet. I bought 5 and am now planning the enclosure to suit them. 2nd hand building suppliers are definately worth a look IMO:lol:

You are probably referring to the Highgrove glass fencing available at Bunnings...We have been looking at utilising their glass for our enclosures but they cant be cut and require massive hinges being 10-12 mm thick and weighing a ton.

I just did a job ripping all the windows and aluminium sliding doors out of a surf club , I have bucket loads lying around at the moment.Just waiting to get some time.

For that size I think I paid $80. If you shop around you can do better. It's surprising how big the differences are in the glass business.

thats right i know places that are really cheap but it sorta comes down to the thickness, laminated, toughened or float

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back