Very Hard Wood?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm thinking of embarking on a project to build myself a work bench/table out of wood. The top will probably just be particle board or something that is cheap to replace when it gets too scratched or damaged but for the frame I want a nice hard-wearing, heavy wood that will last and will allow it to take a decent amount of weight. I'm only really used to the novice timbers like pine or engineered wood like melamine and mdf. So don't know what I should be looking at to make this out of. Obviously grain quality and look doesn't matter so long as it's strong and durable. Any suggestions?

Red gum sleepers
any train lines being replace or repaired around your area? ;)

i'd go with Mads' suggestion, just dont plan on moving the bench..... it wont be light but thats an advantage when you have drill presses, compound saws etc vibrating away on the top of it.

Yeah I want to put wheels on it but maybe industrial trolley ones or have them retractable so they won't be the weak point. Thanks for the suggestion I'll see if i can find some. Maybe at my local train station :p

You could still plan on moving it, but you would need a trolley jack and some decent castor wheels.
Any shopping trolleys laying around abandoned nearby? They can take a bit of weight.

Yeah I want to put wheels on it but maybe industrial trolley ones or have them retractable so they won't be the weak point. Thanks for the suggestion I'll see if i can find some. Maybe at my local train station :p
I would advise that you don't go to close to the track. I work on trains and I hurts just hitting you head on one when it's just sitting there.

Red gum sleepers
any train lines being replace or repaired around your area? ;)
\

sorry to butt in with nothing useful,...but do u know where to get those?
im hoping to find some to hold the pool glass for the lizard area im planning,.....

try second hand wood dealers.
Or places that sell used building materials.

Most heavy duty workbenches use 100X 100 pine. Anything more and you would properly need a metal benchtop. If you really need very heavy supports try 100X100 KD (kiln-dried) hardwood, which in Oz is basically gum.
KD won't shrink much over time but can be difficult to work and very heavy.
If you come back to tell us how it was to work, please watch your language ;)

If your lucky you can sometimes spot them inside the "rail corridor" (fence to fence train line in the middle) but I wouldn't advise that. You can get them from landscape places.

Most heavy duty workbenches use 100X 100 pine. Anything more and you would properly need a metal benchtop. If you really need very heavy supports try 100X100 KD (kiln-dried) hardwood, which in Oz is basically gum.
KD won't shrink much over time but can be difficult to work and very heavy.
If you come back to tell us how it was to work, please watch your language ;)
Haha I love a challenge :p

have you thought about a steel or ally frame? strong and light with ally i do get the appeal for wood tho i love hard woods, when i get a work shop going at home ill be doing some jarrah work

Yeah I thought about steel but I am terrible at welding so I want to crawl before I can walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back