Very Very new to Blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

5inthehouse

Reaction score
Hi all

I have many questions on the care of the blue tongues and figured its best to talk to the people who have them as its hard to find good material.

I have an adult female and 4 babies which are nearly 1 in december and really have no idea how to look after them properly. They have a good sized tank and a heat rock (but after some reading they say the rocks arent good) so my questions are:

How often do you need to feed them ( i weigh them everytime to see if they are putting on weight)

How do you know if they are sick

Whats the best way to keep them warm

And any other info would be welcomed...I am an animal lover and dont want to do the wrong thing by them and am close to taking them to the sanctuary

Thanks all

heat lights r better then rocks the heat rocks r good for blueys correct me if im wrong just feed then a few snails when ever ya get them feed them fruit and veg daily and get a 5%uvb tube and yer thats about it

hey we are pretty new to bluey to weve had ours for a few months
its best not to feed them snales from the garden we feed our bluey cat food (the kind with the gravy) but dont feed them anything with fish we dont have a uvb light we take the bluey out in the sun for a few hours when the wether is good

im telling you what i have learnd since geting the bluey if anything i have sayed is rong plz correct me

don't feed them cat food, insects are good, but mainly fruit and veg is what they eat, about 40% meat, and 60% veges, mine loved strawberries. a mixed diet is important and if they are inside pets, then i'd suppliment with vitamins sometimes. and a good uv tube is a must have... and also a heat light and something to monitor your temps. temps will vary depending on where the blue tounge is from. where did you get them from? got any pics

Howdy all thanks

To renegade..we are in albury NSW and is quite cold at the moment Am heading to the shop tomorrow to get a lamp and stock up on some better food. She didnt seem to like the crickets I had so we started giving them banana, egg, dog food, but they dont seem to eat a whole lot.

will send some pics soon..thanks

processed food like dog and cat food should be kept to a minimum.
Fresh fruit and veg daily.
Roaches, crickets tend to be to fast.
Pinkies or whole mice /rats as a treat.

A great reference book that is just on the market is 'Keeping and breeding Australian lizards' edited by Mike Swan. All you will need to know is in there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back