vhs victoria expo pricing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they sell everything from geckos to lizards to snakes?

didnt realise you could pick up some bargains there!!!

Making the trip from Nth QLD, now I might have to pack double spending $$

Do you know of cases eminating from the expo or are you just scaremongering?

I agree with junglepython2 ;) with so many different people showing their reptiles, the chances of spreading a virus or mites would be much higher at a place like that. It would be OK if you are only looking, but you can handle some on them if you are intrested in buying, so the chances must be higher of something spreading.

I agree with junglepython2 ;) with so many different people showing their reptiles, the chances of spreading a virus or mites would be much higher at a place like that. It would be OK if you are only looking, but you can handle some on them if you are intrested in buying, so the chances must be higher of something spreading.

My understanding is that the suspected cases of various viral diseases relate to private sales in conjuntion with lack of quarantine. By far the most important way of minimising disease spread is to quarantine new animals from existing collections. This should be done wether animals come from private breeders,pet shops or via expos. If quarantine is operated effectively there is no more risk to existing collection from any sources of animals. If you are worried about disease you need to put you effort into quarantine more than trying to second guess the health status of the scource of the animals. Dont be lulled into a false sense of security by thinking some scources are "clean".
In NSW the handling of animals by the public at expos is not permitted.

That's a good thing :) , but if you are thinking of buying, I bet they let you handle them ;)
and viruses and mite are hard to control once you have them

At the SOFAR expo at Newcastle they have a examination room away from the public where the snake can be examined with the benefit of anteseptic hand washes etc. Its part of the expo health protocol. Personally I dont let people handle my snakes for sale. They buy them in a see through container so they can look but not touch. I dont think there is a need to handle an animal as you are not getting a real indication as the conditions at the expo are so far from normal.

At the SOFAR expo at Newcastle they have a examination room away from the public where the snake can be examined with the benefit of anteseptic hand washes etc. Its part of the expo health protocol. Personally I dont let people handle my snakes for sale. They buy them in a see through container so they can look but not touch. I dont think there is a need to handle an animal as you are not getting a real indication as the conditions at the expo are so far from normal.

maybe they should take it further, even with washing your hands you can still transfer mites and who knows, they might be the way these things are spread :rolleyes: . I think your way of selling is the way it should be :) hands off

And how long should we quarantine for Wokka? Some people with very good quarantine measures have been burnt by the virus.... I know buying from clean collections doesn't mean you are safe but it must reduce your risks. And buying from an expo with so many animals together and many allowed to be held is too risky for me. But don't let that stop others, they will do as they see fit.

And how long should we quarantine for Wokka? .

That depends upon your particular situation and what facilities you have.If I only had a few animals I would probably only quarantine for a month or so and then treat the whole collection as one with no movements for a year or so. For our group we have a quarantine "farm" where we keep animals then move them onto breeding locations after all is clear.
The main point I was trying to make is that any new snake comes with a risk be it from your mate , a shop or an expo; and so disease risk minimistion should be considered regardless of the scource.

That depends upon your particular situation and what facilities you have.If I only had a few animals I would probably only quarantine for a month or so and then treat the whole collection as one with no movements for a year or so. For our group we have a quarantine "farm" where we keep animals then move them onto breeding locations after all is clear.
The main point I was trying to make is that any new snake comes with a risk be it from your mate , a shop or an expo; and so disease risk minimistion should be considered regardless of the scource.

I totally agree with that Wokka, just my idea of risk minimisation is to no longer buy from shops or expos at all and to treat private purchases how I would have treated shop/expo purchases in the past.

so it would be wise to avoid buying at the expo because of desease and stuff?

so it would be wise to avoid buying at the expo because of desease and stuff?
Avoid buying from anywhere that has disease or, if you cant tell assume all scouces have disease and quarantine accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back