Vinyl flooring with heat mats question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
I need opinions from DIY experts please.
I have purchased a heavy tile and have covered it with a piece of vinyl flooring and the idea is to slip the mat between the two.
the vinyl is siliconed in place under the tile so snake cannot get burnt.( like a pillowcase if that makes sense)

I got this idea when I saw someone line the floor of an enclosure with vinyl and sat a heat mat under it.

Has anyone used vinyl on a mat or cord.

Most importantly, is it safe??

It is a top quality vinyl, thick and strong, not a cheap thin one if that makes any difference.

I would think it would be highly combustible and if it did burn would produce some pretty toxic fumes. One main advantedge of ceramic tiles is that they dont burn.

Heat mats are the most dangerous form of in-cage heating, so you're asking for trouble fixing it between these items. They are supposed to have an air space under or over them to allow for some cooling/ventilation.

As Wokka said, vinyl will give off some nasty fumes when heated - vinyl vapours are know to be cancer causing. Get rid of the vinyl, and if you must use it, place the heat mat under the floor tile, but raise the floor tile a couple of mm off the floor of the enclosure to allow for air movement.

There are heaps of stories here on the hazards of heat mats, especially when associated with thermostat failure.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back