Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have almost decided on getting a Woma python but was just curious about the WA bhp size.
Most things say BHP's can get HUGE but I guess they are referring generally to NT and Qld BHPs which get big!
But what is a max size for a male pilbara BHP and has anyone found these to have a more skittish behaviour than other locales? i have heard this sometimes.

Thanks guys,
and as an additional question, what's your guys favourite woma locality. I can't pick! (if i go with a woma that is)

thanks again

BHP's are normally similar in size, even with the different locales. I have found WA BHP's to be just as calm as other BHP's.
The Max size for any BHP ranges from 8ft - 10ft, have seen them smaller and larger.

Woma's - I personally am not a fan but my favourite would be the Sandfire, they are stunning and have a great pattern, but each to their own :)

Awesome thanks, i just read on pilbara pythons that he finds WA bhps to be smaller so was interested.

I love sandfires too...

with the womas it sorta depends what you like in terms of appearance and even then it can still vary a bit within the localities

i personally like the crazy patterns that tanamis tend to get so i went with that but if you like the cleaner straighter bands then maybe look at one of the other localities

Yeah I love the pinstripe RHD's with the solid band down the back but crazy elsewhere. tristis has some. also like SA's and the well banded Uluru's

i had the same problem , knew i wanted a woma but couldn't decide what locality just keep having a look around and you will eventually make up your mind but there all great imo

Pilbara BHP's are actually a different sub-species to their northerly Kimberly cousins and do grow considerably smaller with about 180cm or 6ft the norm. They also have a different scale count on their heads to. The size difference is believed to come from different prey items found in the Kimberly's as compared to the Pilbara with the prey in the Pilbara being of smaller size, hence a smaller snake.
There is a paper out there describing this but bit too late for me to go searching now.

Pilbara BHP's are actually a different sub-species to their northerly Kimberly cousins and do grow considerably smaller with about 180cm or 6ft the norm. They also have a different scale count on their heads to. The size difference is believed to come from different prey items found in the Kimberly's as compared to the Pilbara with the prey in the Pilbara being of smaller size, hence a smaller snake.
There is a paper out there describing this but bit too late for me to go searching now.

What's the scientific name of this new sub species?

What's the scientific name of this new sub species?

Why did I have a feeling that broad brushstroke of a statement would rouse this response... now where did I leave my popcorn? :)

I'm torn between BHP and Woma's for the same reason, adult size and how much space is needed to keep them.

I have some WA Pilbara animals and my female has grown larger than I expected. She's about 6 ft and a very solid snake, I do have some QLDs who are much bigger than her but I expect her to keep growing. The male however is only about 5ft and quiet skinny, could be that he's not fed as much though, however he's significantly smaller than my male QLD at the same age. I'm not doubting they're smaller, however they're still quiet sizable snakes, much bigger than womas.

My pilbaras were both absoloute nutcases, had to keep their enclosures covered, the female has calmed, male is still crazy.

Thats interesting, will have to get my mate's WA BHP's up here, the male is 8ft and the female is just under 7 1/2ft. Both are really placid and great handlers.
A guy I know who has had pythons for years and he has two female, just as pets, baught from Pilbara Pythons, they are the most gentlest snakes I have come across, both girls seek attention too, anyway 1 is about 8ft and the other is about 8 1/2 foot.

So not sure why these guys are so big?

Any snake (or smaller sub species) has the potential to get larger in captive environments. Lots of variables at play that they do not get in the wild.

Saying that the Pilbara BHPs are smaller (on average) in the wild, would be a correct assertion.

Could a male wa bhp be kept in a 1500x600x450? Or is this too small. For an adult I mean.

Thanks guys for all your replies!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not doubting they're smaller, however they're still quiet sizable snakes, much bigger than womas.

I understand that you keep an breed woma's and was wondering if you cAn tell me how big a max size for a male SA womanisbgenerally speaking? Thanks very much!

- - - Updated - - -

That's meant to say woma is generally not womanisbgenerally.

Last edited:

pretty interesting if its true, where is the literature to back up this new taxonomy? ive seen some wc pilbara bhps that are well over the 6 foot mark and look seemingly normal. if its true thats cool though.

Yes that is intriguing, can you supply some more info?

Ive been breeding wa bhps for a few years now and have both males and females at 2400mm (8ft). They aren't pilbarra but from windjana gorge, yet they both have the extra loreal scale as found in the pilbarra.

Just to throw a spanner in the works.

Interesting about the BHP. I would love to read into that more. Ad for womas, depend what you like. I think I like the ulurus the most. They get to a descent size and my little boy has almost perfect straight banding with high contrast. I think he is the most gorgeous snake I've seen but then I am very, very biased. :)

They get to a descent size and my little boy has almost perfect straight banding with high contrast. I think he is the most gorgeous snake I've seen but then I am very, very biased. :)

Is he in the "show us ya woma's" thread? because I like ulurus, nice SA and pinstripe RHDs.

Interesting stuff on this BHP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back