WA V NT Red acs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to further confuse things not all the WA ackies are a lovely red colour. The western pilbara ones i have are yellow, the red ackies i believe are more prevalent with the start of the red sandy soiled areas.

Sorry ,but i asked if there was a key or description of the sub species, i wasnt saying there is no sub species. Although the most recent work i have,a complete guide to reptiles of Australia by steve wilson (Queensland museum) and Gerry swan (Australian museum) say ssp, ill defined and dosen't even list brachyurus as a sub species, only insularicus. Cogger says north western australia, not far western.In Australian Goannas by Matt Vincent and steve Wilson(different steve Wilson) they say V.a acanthurus - northern and north western areas of the range and V.a. brachyurus- eastern and central areas of the range. In an article by jeff Lemm, the natural history and captive husbandry of the spiny tail monitor he states" wild red ackies were found and photographed near 80 mile beach and the eastern kimbereys to Victoria river (N.T) and halls creek. An enormous 34 inch red was also found near Wyndham (near the N.T boarder), an area also within the range of V.a.acanthurus". If you want to go into the D.N.A profiling then that is a different thing (not in your favour).
As for people say this just to kick up the price to the more expensive red ackies, or its just a marketing ploy, i find insulting. I am trading oldfella 1 for 1 for his blotched blue tongues which he has for $150. The animal is a sub adult in perfect shape, i think most people sell their baby yellows for more than that. I keep sandfire ackies as well as normal N.T yellows and these ones from Victoria river. I will try and post a pic when i work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back