Waste not want not

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
place into a plastic bag an refreaze then place into the bin on bin day. Never give to another snake

Why never give it to another snake? I can understand why it shouldnt be done in some cases for quaranteen, but i really cant see it being an issue feeding it to another snake if you are already letting them mate together etc.

Why never give it to another snake? I can understand why it shouldnt be done in some cases for quaranteen, but i really cant see it being an issue feeding it to another snake if you are already letting them mate together etc.

I'm with you there, don't see the big deal at all. I can usually tell straight off if one of mine isnt hungry so I give it to another before I defrost too many.. Some people are paying like $8 a rat, if one doesn't eat for a couple of months.. I mean, you could buy another snake for the money you're "throwing in the bin", lol

never had an unwanted rat,... :)

good to hear ur recycling tho! :p

i just see it as being a extra step in infection controll.
ive read in my books that some worm eggs can reside in the mouth of snakes plus other lil nastys. i was just told by quite a few people that it is poor infection controll to give a unwanted rat to another snake.

fair enough if they are mating togeather, but its still not my cup of tea.

all down to personal view, id rather waste $12 per rat then pay for vet bills or lose a herp.

i just see it as being a extra step in infection controll.
ive read in my books that some worm eggs can reside in the mouth of snakes plus other lil nastys. i was just told by quite a few people that it is poor infection controll to give a unwanted rat to another snake.

fair enough if they are mating togeather, but its still not my cup of tea.

all down to personal view, id rather waste $12 per rat then pay for vet bills or lose a herp.

I read in a Reptiles Australia magazine that they may think that OPMV could be transmitted by bodily fluids. :shock: Whether or not its true, I wouldn't risk it for that or any other nasties... Luckily I dont have that problem...I have a MD! :rolleyes: Little guts loves his food and often goes looking for more!! :lol:

having left over rodents the option is not to freeze not to give it to the gutsy python because then it is over feeding refreezing and bagging then binning on bin day is not an option,. Basicially because either they are dear to buy or myself i just don't want to waste it. Great idea about kookaburras and goanna's, i would love to have a friendly neighbourhood goanna but all i have is wallabies, minor birds and stinky ibis so my solution is the cat.

Never thaw them all out at once . Start feeding the fussy ones first then you can feed any leftovers to the piglet snakes ,l have 3 of them . Eat any amount of anything anytime .

having left over rodents the option is not to freeze not to give it to the gutsy python because then it is over feeding refreezing and bagging then binning on bin day is not an option,. Basicially because either they are dear to buy or myself i just don't want to waste it. Great idea about kookaburras and goanna's, i would love to have a friendly neighbourhood goanna but all i have is wallabies, minor birds and stinky ibis so my solution is the cat.

I only thaw out what I'll need, I never overfeed him. I don't like wasting either.

I bet the cat really loves you...lol :lol:

never really thought to thaw less than needed, but definately noted, and yes slytherin puddy does love me and a juicy rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back