Water dragon water requirements?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
Water dragon water requirements? And what would suit my outdoor enclosure?

I am just wondering. How important is water for a Gippsland or Eastern Water Dragon? Would a shallow tub be suitable for an adult pair? so they can just sit in it. Or do they need a large pond to be able to swim in?
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know that it's entirely necessary to keep them alive, but they are WATER dragons. The tank I have mine in has what amounts to a 2 foot fish tank in it, and I'm going to be expanding it to 4 foot (length, about 1.5 foot deep) of water because they enjoy it so much.

It's like having a snake and not giving it any hides. It probably won't die, but it sure as hell won't be happy.

it should be deep enough so they can fulyl submerge them self in, the bigg the better but we all know thats not always possible. I adopted a male water dragon who only had a small bowl to swim in, i let him play in one of those kiddie half shell things and he started shedding at least 4 layers of old skin off

It needs to be big enough to submerge and you need to change it daily at a minimum as thats where they toilet.

mine does a lot of swimming and diving, a fascinating behaviour that i wouldnt deprive him or my self of.

Give them as big an area as possible.
Water provides them with security and aids in shedding.

best off keeping them outside in a aviary type setup with pond outside,biggest as space permits.then they really thrive.well mine do anyway!!

Ahh thanks. Was just wondering as i have my outdoor enclosure nearly finished and was looking at what to put in it.... 6mW X 10mL X 2mH. Wire used on roof and upper walls is birdwire. Lower walls is corrugated iron. floor is lined with thick tarp/weedmat covered in mulch.

Any idea what lizards would suit it? Bluetongues, Dragons, Small Monitors? Bear in mind it has a 1/4 covered area, and will not have any additional heating in it.

same in vic as it is in adelaide as it gets quite cold for a good part of the year. id say your only real option is water dragons.. id love a big outdoor monitor but would think you would have to bring them in for winter?? how else do people do big pits with beardies? just let them brumate naturally? also how do you feed your rep then? if you open a box of crix they will just all run away yea??

We have a large Goanna that comes and goes at will. Slightly put me off large Monitors. He tail whipped me a few years ago. I guess a bathtub would be okay for 2 adult GWD's or EWD's?
Realized my outdoor enclosure is built onto a large shed. Could build an insulated overwintering enclosure for REPS, and let them run free in warmer months. hmmmm.

May just stick with Bluetongues for the meantime.?

kaotik, how old are they?? my pair would be a year id say. you think i could put them out this summer??? got any pics?

Last edited:
To feed crickets and woodies in a pit situation, use a ceramic dish or a bonsai pot, with the top edge painted with a 2 cm band of Fluon. Remove the hopping legs from the crickets. Grasshoppers, beetles, spiders and the like can just be thrown in for the animals to find themselves.

An old bath tub would make an excellent pond for water dragons. Planted with rapid growing aquatics, like Vallis, Bacopa or Myriophyllum, in conjunction with a decent filter, you should not have change a lot of the water too often. Just remove a percentage of the plants when required. Bluetongues and ponds are not compatible unless the edges are a gentle gradient into deeper water.

For winter, all that is required is a covered area at the end of the pit using one metre plus of either corrugated iron or alsynite sheeting. The floor area underneath should be raised well above the level of the rest of the pit, to ensure it stays dry in the heaviest of downpours. Break up a bale of hay and place under the covered area. The lizards will do their own burrowing to brumate.

Blue

That is correct. No heating other than the odd bit of sun through winter. High and dry from the rain and insulated from the extremes of temperature by the hay.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back