Water Dragon with a Blue Tongue?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kukri-dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at getting a Blue Tongue Lizard at the moment (baby), and already have an eastern water dragon-(24cm head-tail). Ive got him in a 4.5ft tank, indoors.the water depth is only 5cm as a rough guess and about 35x20cm length by width. Are the two species able to live together? The style set-up is a bush kind of theme and the EWD loves it. Btw i have rocks in the water for the water dragon to climb out on so no-body drowns. Can they be friends?
replies would be appreciated :)

I don't think 2 lizards will ever be "friends" (even for the same species unless it's mating season if you know what I mean :lol:)

On a more serious note though I won't put them together unless they are of a similar size and are in a bigger tank so they can get away from each other. Then again, I've never had either of these lizards.

I don't think 2 lizards will ever be "friends" (even for the same species unless it's mating season if you know what I mean :lol:)

Even then they sometimes kill eachother :/

My initial response would be no but can you upload a pic so we can see what it looks like?

Even then they sometimes kill eachother :/

My initial response would be no but can you upload a pic so we can see what it looks like?

I'll try dig out my camera in a couple of days. I've seen these lizards together before, but i guess there is always that risk that you're giving one rep a big dinner :(. Ive been considering this for i while but blue tongues look a bit greedy. i guess it's like keeping a cat with a dog...can be done but risky...

I say yes they should be fine if they're a similar size and the enclosure is a good size. I kept blue tongues and water dragons in an outdoor enclosure for years and they got on just fine. I currently have shinglebacks and a beardy in an indoor enclosure, and they get on fine too.

I think it just depends on the individual animals.

Hope I helped :)

I say yes they should be fine if they're a similar size and the enclosure is a good size. I kept blue tongues and water dragons in an outdoor enclosure for years and they got on just fine. I currently have shinglebacks and a beardy in an indoor enclosure, and they get on fine too.

I think it just depends on the individual animals.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks, the tank is about 4.5ft (around that) well i should have a new addition soon!

Im about to put adult water dragons and adult blueys in an outdoor enclosure. Saw a shop in canberra together and they seemed to get along, will update this thread when i get them and they settle in

they do fine outdoors together,indoors in a restricted area the watery will trample a bluey,big time,posably out grow the bluey to,i wouldnt reccomend it indoors personally,waterdragons are active buggers,and powerful,if they want to get somewhere its like the blueys not even there,they happily run straight over them,and if a male,can get quite dominant

been there done that wont do it again,not fair on the bluey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back