Water evaporation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djbowker

Reaction score
My water disappears within two days inside my tank, which can be a pain because due to my job, I can be away for 4-5 days.

Has anyone got a solution to water evaporation from water bowls?

All I'm running is a night time purple light.

It's because you have your water source too close to your heat source, simple thermodynamics.

Bigger water bowl, or maybe one that's deeper with a smaller surface area. What's in the tank? Snakes probably won't drink it after 1-2 days anyway, in my experience they don't like water that been sitting for very long. If it's a lizard, you could try one of those bowls with a reservoir, but I don't know how much luck you'll have, none of mine have ever used them.

Bigger water bowl, or maybe one that's deeper with a smaller surface area. What's in the tank? Snakes probably won't drink it after 1-2 days anyway, in my experience they don't like water that been sitting for very long. If it's a lizard, you could try one of those bowls with a reservoir, but I don't know how much luck you'll have, none of mine have ever used them.

Yeah, they're snakes.
I never knew snakes didn't like sitting water, although with the exception of my water python I've never seen any to near it anyway.

Realistically it's not a huge deal anyway. They will be fine for 1-2 days without access to water. If you're only away for 4-5 days max I'd suggest moving the water bowl as far from the heat source as you can, and just leave it at that. fill them up as soon as you get back and right before you leave, and you shouldn't have an issue.

If your water is evaporating that quickly, then chances are your snake is uncomfortable too. I'd block off most of the lid ventilation at least until the dry season is over.

How big is your water bowl and what temperatures are your enclosure measured at the hot end and cool end?

It's just the basic reptile one cube.
Mesh at the top.

Water bowl is deep, but not too big.
Around 28-32 degrees, depending on weather.

I may have slightly exaggerated when I said 1-2 days, it's about three.

Without going into it,

What matters is the exposed surface area.
This will allow for the water to warm up faster and cause evaporation.

Also open for debate is the mesh top, its a matter of preference however humid air will rise and not stay in the tank allowing for a dryer body of air to access the water bowl and constantly evaporating. Having air that is around "Specific humidity" or "saturated humidity" can prevent this from happening (Mollier Diagram)

This formula answers the problem
g[SUB]h[/SUB] = Θ A (x[SUB]s[/SUB] - x)
g[SUB]h[/SUB] = MAGIC!
g[SUB]h[/SUB] = Increase the depth of your water bowl and decrease the overall surface area, prevent the snake from drowing by adding a false bottom a couple of rocks etc. Same way public ponds work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back