Water Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan09

Reaction score
Hey,

i really love Mertens Water Monitors and i am thinking of getting a pair once i get my new outdoor avairy set up.

but i like to hold, handle and pat all my pets and reptiles (not just put them on show)
and was wondering if anyone has one or has had encounters with one, and could tell me if they get tame and are holdable etc or (being a preditory animal) it isnt as tameble as say a python or somthing.

and also, do they swim alot? or just 'sit' in water? cause im planning a fairly large 'pond' for the bottom (in diameter not depth) for them too.

cheers

p.s. any other usfull facts or hints/tips etc would be good to thanks :D

I dont own any, but they have 2 in a big display tank at my local herp shop that seem to live together with a colony of water dragons peacefully.
They are always swimming, not just sitting in the water but swimming around looking for food I think.
Also, they said that there is no way you would get your hands near the big mertens its crazy will take your fingers off.
But, every lizard is different, some people tame down laceys so they are like puppies, but some are just evil and always want blood.
I used to want one big time, but realised I was going to have my work cut out for me housing a big animal like that indoors as well as keeping the enclosure AND water clean at all times.

We have a pair here... They are pretty bold and eat like pigs... They can be a bit flighty at times and are not really "lap' lizards... But then again, I am not big on constantly handling my animals.... With that being said, they are not aggressive toward me in any way and I nor my partner have ever even come close to being bitten... I am sure with frequent handling from when they are young, they can become quite tame and relaxed...

Outdoors in Adelaide is probably going to be incredibly cold for them come winter. Lethal some might say.
How were you going to heat the aviary?

Nathan09, Mertens Water Monitor's don't accure in your local area or state natually, so for you to keep them in a outdoor enclosure in your area, you will need to provide them with a enclosed area and heating, so when your not there to keep a eye on them, and the weather turns cold you can be assured they will survive and have somewhere to keep warm all year around.
As you can see in my outdoor enclosure l kept my Sand Monitor's in here in Melbourne Victoria, they had cover to keep their sand pit dry, and heating built into their sand pit and one of the 2 large hide boxes,so they warm offered warmth all year around here in Melbourne Victoria.

Last edited:
Whenever i see your pit bluey, i love it! im wondering what is that blue stuff is in the last pic and are those pipes for them to use as tunnels?

Whenever i see your pit bluey, i love it! im wondering what is that blue stuff is in the last pic and are those pipes for them to use as tunnels?
I thought the pipes were for toilets:p, Im pretty sure the blue stuff is a type of particle board

Those plastic tubes a use as a tunnel that goes down into a large hide box, where the Desert Sand Monitor's can hide for privacy or get some rest, and the blue stuff you see is special masking tape that is used mostly by painters outdoor, here in the photo you see the blue masking tape attached to the edges on the 2x160watt Radiant Panet Heaters, that the Desert Sand Monitor's sit on top of to keep warm outdoors, when there is no sunshine shining into their enclosure.

summer temps in adelaide are probably cooler than what mertons cop in winter where they are from,you would be better off keeping lacies or sandys in an avairy type cage there ,unless u plan to add heating ,mertons are a tropical species

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back