Weaning Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthy

Reaction score
Just wondering what a rat that's ready to be weaned looks like? I have 12 babies that are fully furred, beyond hopping and well capable of biting (no blood tho). I want to get them away from their mum asap (due to some cannibalism) They would be about 50mm long in body and same in tail, about the size of a lean mouse.

If they are able to eat themselves they no longer need to be in with mum.

Once they have stopped eating from their mum and are eating normal food. If you wanted to separate them you could give them baby food - this should be alright if they are about 3 weeks old.

Once they have stopped eating from their mum and are eating normal food. If you wanted to separate them you could give them baby food - this should be alright if they are about 3 weeks old.

I can't remember when they were born but I'm sure it was longer than 3 weeks ago. They do eat other food but I have seen them hanging off mum. That's why I included their size.

I can't remember when they were born but I'm sure it was longer than 3 weeks ago. They do eat other food but I have seen them hanging off mum. That's why I included their size.
They will go back to mums milk but it is not needed if they are eating other food.

21-24 days is weaning age. Maybe up to 30 days if runty. It sounds like you can separate them.
If you leave them too long they will be sexually mature (6wo onwards).
Hope this helps
Kim

21-24 days is weaning age. Maybe up to 30 days if runty. It sounds like you can separate them.
If you leave them too long they will be sexually mature (6wo onwards).
Hope this helps
Kim

Thanks everyone, they've been out for 24 hrs now and appear to be doing fine in the kids cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back