weighing snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prob about every six month on average. On top of that when ever we get/sell a snake and begin/end season if adults.

Cheers

i do mine about every month or so Jas the baby i'll probably keep more of a closer eye on just to make sure shes(it) is growing as should be ....

I weigh mine once a month. My adult spotted won't need it that much, but I've moved her feed size up, so just want to keep an eye on her. My other snake is a MD almost 11 months old, so I like keeping a close eye on him.

personally I haven't actually weighed a snake for about 20 years :) but theres nothing wrong with weighing them and its good keeping records of this. as I basically only keep morelia these days and mainly jungles, I kind of know by looking at them and feeling the weight if they are ready to try breeding etc.. and as I have a few in my collection its something I never find time for.

the people that do weigh them.. what records do you keep? hatchie weights? adult weights? pre breeding weights? post breeding weights? etc.

I've started to weigh mine after every slough. I've only started doing this since late last year so my Bredl's records start from 11 months old, my woma was 1st slough after I first got her at 2 months old, so depending on which snake, that's every 6-12 weeks at the moment. My male Bredl's is just coming into slough now, so he'll be re-weighed soon. He went 368g last weigh in, he's 14 months old now.

Colin, for now, I'm mainly keeping weight records so I can maintain a suitable food size feeding regime for my juvi animals as they grow (obviously I don't have the 20yrs experience some keepers like yourself have, so I'm finding the record keeping quite helpful). In a few years it'll be for breeding records.

Im no expert by any means, but manage to muddle through the keeping and breeding of my animals ok.

thats great your keeping detailed records of your animals weights.

I also don't weigh my snakes. I'm not expert and have only had snakes for 1-2 years, but I can see and feel my snakes ( I do only have 2) and as long as food lumps are appropriate I don't see the point.

Im no expert by any means, but manage to muddle through the keeping and breeding of my animals ok.
thats great your keeping detailed records of your animals weights.
Sorry Colin, hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic or anything, I certainly wasn't. (easy to do via electronic communication)
What I meant was I can understand keepers with the experience can tell by the snakes general appearance or heft whether their animals are growing well or ready to breed or need more condition on them etc without the need to keep records. However newbies like myself may require the assistance of such records. Each to their own, different keeping practices are going to work for different keepers. Cheers :)

uptil now i havnt weighed any snakes i have . i did find that my biggest green tree frog weighs 60 grams and my 2 tanami womas weigh 40 grams each .

Sorry Colin, hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic or anything, I certainly wasn't. (easy to do via electronic communication)
What I meant was I can understand keepers with the experience can tell by the snakes general appearance or heft whether their animals are growing well or ready to breed or need more condition on them etc without the need to keep records. However newbies like myself may require the assistance of such records. Each to their own, different keeping practices are going to work for different keepers. Cheers :)

:lol: no not at all sock puppet.. I just meant Im no expert (in my opinion) even though I may have a few years experience. For everything about reptiles I think I know theres 10 more things I dont. and its a continual learning process and constant management re-evaluation, always looking for better ways of doing things etc. and dont get me wrong.. I think weighing your animals is a good practice and would probably do it myself if I had extra time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back