Weight Differences

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
So my beardie and stimpsons grow at very different rates! In amount of time that my stimmi put on 5 grams, by beardie put on 20. I'm not exactly sure how old they are but my beardie is 150g and my stimpsons is 50g and were bought on the 4th May and 17 July, respectively. Stimmi gets feed a fuzzie every 5 days and my beardie has salads every day and roaches every other day. Is it normal for a snake to be growing much slower?

Thanks. :)

Firstly Lizards and Snakes eat different things and have different digestive systems and metabolic rates. It is like comparing apples and oranges... you can't. I assume from the weights you typed the stimson is being fed fuzzie mice so around 5g per feed that is a bit small for a 50g snake. It should be able to handle the next size up fairly easily.

I'm not sure why you were expecting them to have the same growth rate when beardie gets fed every day and stimson gets fed every five. ???

So, your Bearded Dragon put on 13.3% of its body weight in the same time as your Stimson Python put on 10% of his body weight. I wouldn't really say that their growth rates are different as they are withiin 3% of each other. You are also comparing apples with bananas as the biology of these animals is different.

However, if you want to look further at the differences of these species and how the food you feed them is utilised differently, then I would suggest weighing the food that they eat and their feces. That way you will be able to see other difference between the two like the percentage of food being utilised by each species.

Firstly Lizards and Snakes eat different things and have different digestive systems and metabolic rates. It is like comparing apples and oranges... you can't. I assume from the weights you typed the stimson is being fed fuzzie mice so around 5g per feed that is a bit small for a 50g snake. It should be able to handle the next size up fairly easily.

I'm not sure why you were expecting them to have the same growth rate when beardie gets fed every day and stimson gets fed every five. ???
I wondered if it was mice or rats because a fuzzy rat would be the right size to feed a 50g snake.

Thanks I figured it was just because they are such different animals. Yes it's fuzzy mice, it's what he was on since I got him from snake ranch, so should he be on fuzzy rats?

Or a couple of weaner mice / hopper depends where ya get um from.... If ya got fuzzies left then give it 2/3 :)

Thanks I figured it was just because they are such different animals. Yes it's fuzzy mice, it's what he was on since I got him from snake ranch, so should he be on fuzzy rats?

17th of July was two and a half months ago... Sounds like it's time to upsize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back