Western Australia 3 -- Kalbarri part 2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here are a few more shots of the Kalbarri area. The little village is located inland a short distance from the mouth of the Murchison River.
habitat4.jpg

The coastal portion of the park was very scenic. This year, the temps were cool and the wind high so I spent little time on the trails above the ocean.
habitat12.jpg

habitat11.jpg

Most of my time was spent in the heath habitat where the flowers were incredible.
habitat1.jpg

habitat2.jpg

habitat3.jpg

flower_verticordia9.jpg

This was the habitat of my favourite lizard, the incredible Moloch or Thorny Devil. I was very lucky to see this animal. We did not see it at all during our two days at Kalbarri. We only saw it on our return journey when we returned to the town to pick up the recharger to my wife's mobile phone. This one, like all the others that I have seen, was on the road. I have never spotted when when I walked through the shrubland. I guess that they are fairly small, don't move fast and are cryptically coloured.
moloch9.jpg

It had such amazing spines. They move in an interesting way with lots of rocking before they finally take a step.
moloch3.jpg

I also saw a few Bobtails or Shinglebacks (Tiliqua rugosa).
bobtail1.jpg

bobtail3.jpg

This was a sad sight, a DOR Western Blue-tongue (Tiliqua occipitalis). I saw a live one as I passed through a small town near the turnoff to Kalbarri but I could not stop in time due to traffic. When I did return, it has already moved out of sight into thick scrub.
bluetongue1.jpg

Sand Goannas (Gould's Monitors) were a frequent sight. The first one has lost its tail. I suspect that it may have been a lucky escape from a car.
monitor1.jpg

monitor2.jpg

I saw many Pygmy Bearded Dragons (Pogona minor) on this trip but I never seemed to have the right lens on at the time. This shot was with my macro of one resting on the side of the road.
Pogona1.jpg

I saw this Echidna on the road one night. I attempted to move it off the road and it then rolled into a ball and literally rolled off the road. I have never seen one pull itself into a tight ball like this.
echidna2.jpg

echidna1.jpg

FLOWERS
As I mentioned before, Kalbarri is rich with flowers. One of my favourite genera is that of the Feather Flowers (Verticordia). These plants are covered with masses of brightly coloured and often oddly shaped flowers. They are members of the same family as Eucalyptus.

Verticordia monadelpha -- the most common and conspicous Verticordia in Kalbarri.
flower_verticordia1.jpg

flower_verticordia4.jpg

Verticordia venusta (I think)
flower_verticordia2.jpg

Verticordia dichroma
flower_verticordia3.jpg

flower_verticordia8.jpg

Verticordia aculata -- a stunning plant that sometimes grew in rings with the flowers massed around the outer edge of the ring.
flower_rose2.jpg

flower_rose1.jpg

A nice red-flowered Verticordia:
flower_verticordia3-1.jpg

Several species of Banksia were a frequent sight.
flower_banksia3.jpg

flower_banksia4.jpg

Beaufortia aestiva
flower_5.jpg

Beaufortia squarrosa
flower_6.jpg

Scholtzia uberiflora
flower_3.jpg

Scaveola phlebopetaria
flower_9.jpg

This is the Eucalyptus with the biggest flower. The tree is spindly but the flowers are the size of an apple. It is a E. macrocarpa.
flower_eucalypt2.jpg

Further inland, the soils changed and so did the plants. Mulga trees and the feathery mulla-mullas became common.
habitat18.jpg

flower_13.jpg

Flowering shrubs were largely replaced by annuals.
flower_10.jpg

flower_11.jpg

As you can see, there are a great number of beautiful plants in the Kalbarri region.

Regards,
David

That thorny devil looks amazing!

I love the first shot, it looks so mean. That's a death stare for sure!

well done thanx for sharing
cant wait till i go over to WA itd going to be great

great shot moloch05 you have a real nack for the camera.
such a shame about the bluey, western blue-tongues look so unique in my appinion.

Should have a good metal detecter with you Moloch; your on the door step of some big gold country there.
As always; beautiful shots to mate...

Should have a good metal detecter with you Moloch; your on the door step of some big gold country there.
As always; beautiful shots to mate...

Hehe I think you're thinking of Kalgoorlie, not Kalbarri!

Amazing place, I haven't been for about 10 years but these pics have inspired me to get back over to mid and north coast WA.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much, everyone, for the kind remarks.

Here are a few more Moloch pics. The first two are from this year, then there are 3 older pics from Kalbarri and Exmouth.
moloch6.jpg

moloch11.jpg

Feb07 Exmouth
feb_07_exmouth.jpg

Nov05 Exmouth
nov05_moloch_exmouth.jpg

Nov05 Kalbarri
nov_05_moloch_kalbarri1.jpg

Here is the little town of Kalbarri:
kalbarri1.jpg

... and a few more flowers from this trip:

Coppercups (Pilanthus sp.)