What a mess!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
goood job mate... that was crazy! def came into the right yard !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank heavens you found him Josh. Didn't seem to worried about you handling him!
I must admit I have never seen them that bad on any one animal before.

"PUT THE PROTECTED NATIVE WILD LIFE DOWN"

lol, well done mate, where did you release it?

I recently came across a Blotched Bluetongue with a similar tick infestation to this python. We removed around 40 of them including between 4 & 5 large ticks from within the ear cavities.
This old girl was in shocking condition.... had obviously failed to shed properly for a looooong time.
Once the ticks were removed, we used a sloughing spray twice daily for a few days as well as warm baths.
She eventually shed cleanly, put on weight and was released back into the reserve.
I too, wonder how long these snakes/lizards can soldier on while so heavily infested with these parasites.
bluetongues are completely immune to ticks, they can only do damage on the face (eyes mouth etc)

i'd say most native reptiles are the same but cant be sure, better consult a expert on this

That poor carpet, am sure he'd be more than grateful for your help, good onya 8)

Why is it that they cluster mostly around the head??

Sorry, Old thread I know - but I saw the tweezers and couldn't resist.
Pokpok, ticks generally cluster around the head as that is the first area to push through the brush/grass. The ticks legs are hooked and clasp onto whichever part they touch first, they then will generally search around for a nice place to feed.

Good work there Farma,you say you found him near a colony of bats.Dont bats carry alot of ticks?They look like cattle ticks?

fruit bats do carry alot of ticks - ever since the introduction of wild tobacco, which bats and ticks both love. and unlike alot of natives, fruit bats do not have a resistance to paralysis ticks. it's actually a major problem for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back