what am i doing wrong?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenvuk

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to these forums despite the fact I joined some years ago when i owned a blonde mac that i let my cousin take care of when I went OS.

I have become increasingly fond of Jungles, absolutely adore them.Especially the black and gold variety.

Having approached 4 ads on here in relation to jungles, i haven't a single response from any of them.

Perhaps I am unsure of etiquette here... I asked:
  • are these animals suitable for beginners?
  • do they feed well?; and
  • do they handle well?
I thought these were reasonable questions.

As i love these animals very much I would never allow for them to be freighted, so am only interested in buying from someone from my state, and willing to drive whatever it takes.

Can anyone suggest why my PMs go unanswered?

What am i doing wrong? :(

Hey there,

how long ago did you contact them?
a lot of sellers on here have it as a hobby rather than a business...so can be a bit busy with getting back too you (frustrating I know)

beyond that...the suitable for beginners and handling questions MAY annoy some breeders...not saying that's whats happened, but generally beginner snakes are whatever you can handle to house, and a lot of people have the view you shouldn't have to hold your animal.
again, not saying this is why people haven't replied, perhaps they're just a bit flat out at the moment,

Anyway, hope it all goes well for you! by the way, don't listen to the view that jungles are snappy...they're really not! Any snake has the ability too bite, and there's plenty of individuals who GENERALLY won't, but even if they do...doesn't make them a bad seed and mean they'll do it all the time!

Goodluck, and enjoy!

Casey

Thanks, i really appreciate your response.

It has been a few days. As for the beginner thing, it was more orientated to my nephew who has a keen interest in herps/reptiles.

I wouldnt dream of owning one of these beautiful creatures until I was in a position to do so, so have the proper viv, hides, lamps, thermometers and water bowls to look after them. Plus I have read every care sheet for the breeds I am interested in.

It is just a little frustrating. When you see one of the animals you like (and they come along very rarely) you kinda want to secure them and give them a good home.

Thanks again!

Hi there, i also wanted to add in that it is currently breeding season so they may also be busy with that. I have waited up to a week sometimes for a reply, most people on here work regular jobs too so may not be on every day. Also if they have sold all the snakes that were available then they may not reply either and may take their time updating the ad as sold as well.
I also agree that some people that keep jungles may be a bit offended by those questions or think you are not being serious.
In first messages to people i usually ask how they are and explain some of the reasons i am interested in their animals and then wait for a response. If i get a reply then i ask further questions that the ad may not have covered or if the ad is a little old i will ask a few questions about what food items they are on, what sized click clack, how long the snakes are, current age etc.
I haven't actually purchased off anyone on here yet (waiting to hear back from someone lol) but most are very nice if you make the message more like a normal conversation i have found :D
Jungles can be placid or a bit snappy depending on how much they are handled etc and some may be more placid due to different bloodlines (i have heard of a blood line that was very placid) so it just depends.
In regards to them being a good beginner snake, a lot of people on here say to get the species you really want straight up instead of getting something you may be less impressed and passionate about (i recently 'rescued' a pair of spotteds that weren't what the guy wanted from the start). If a jungle is what your heart desires then go with it :)
If you are worried about temperament, take a trip to the breeder before comitting to buy and have a look at the animals and handle them and then choose one/two that stand out to you in temperament and colour/pattern. If none of them stand out then don't purchase any.
Good luck and please try not to worry too much about not getting a reply as there are a million and one reasons why they may not have gotten back to you. Next time you send a message before you send it down the bottom there will be a check box that you can click so you get notified when the person has read the message.

The questions you are asking come across as someone who knows very little and is on a fish trip for information rather than in the market for buying a snake. Put yourself in the position of the breeder. These are the types of questions these get from tyre kickers, time wasters that do not intend to buy. The answers to these questions you should already know if you have done your research and are ready to buy. Yes, they are suitable for beginners, so long as you have done your homework – same for any snake. As a group, yes, of course they feed well. However, if you are aiming to buy a hatchling, make sure it is feeding well as some can be difficult to get started. Lots of people handle their jungles and I don’t see lots of posts about complaints as a result.

There is an excellent book edited by Mike Swan called “Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons”. If you intend to keep pythons it would be $60 well spent. You might even pick up a second hand copy cheap on Ebay or wherever. You can probably get a hold of a copy through the local library if you wish to check it out first.

The sort of questions a breeder wants to hear are how many do you have left, when can I arrange to come and have a look and perhaps some physical details that were lacking in the add, such as length, weight, gender, ultimate length for this particular strain. And, of course, the questions Em1986 mentioned. When you get there you check things like your intended temperature range with the breeder. They are happy to answer questions on husbandry when they are asked in a manner that shows you know what you are doing. They are not happy to cover the whole basic husbandry because it means the person is not ready to purchase and provide for a snake.

Blue

Thanks Em and Blue. You have given me some really good advice and it is really appreciated.

I assure you I have done my homework, but there is alot of conflicting information about this species. Most of it is anecdotal and from forums such as this.

Point taken, never ever ask about beginner snakes or handling, even though my interest is genuine.

As for buying a python, i would never do so without meeting him/her first in the presence of the breeder where I could ask a few more questions.

When I got my blonde mac the breeder sold me a booklet "keeping children's pythons" by Greg Fyfe and Darren Green which i studied like you wouldnt believe (even though he wasnt a childreni but very similar) and every point in that book was followed to the letter. Thank you for the recommendation on book to read, have just ordered it.

Thanks again guys, this is a great forum!
Andrew

You are most welcome. I appreciate you taking the time to say thanks to Em and I.

This is the best thread I could locate on Jungles and you will find it quite useful I believe...http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/jungle-carpet-python-lighting-heating-168019/

Just one final point that I would like to clarify…. Given that they are the most highly strung of the carpets, it would appropriate if buying a hatchie to ask how snappy it is now, when you can expect to see it settle and does the breeder recommend any particular method as being more effective in getting them to settle? Whilst this may seem the same as the last of your questions it isn’t. Asked this way, it shows a measure of understanding of the breed and indicates you are seriously looking for a good animal.

Good luck,
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andrew,
Just thought i'd add a bit coming from a beginner with 2 jungles. I have a female and male about 8mths old, when i got them I left them alone in their tank until after their first feed (about a week or so). After that I found that the female I got was very placid (in the space of 8 weeks she has struck 3 times only actually bit twice) and the male was a bit high strung (struck a fair bit but rarely actually full on bit) but now that he is coming up on his first shed (with me) he has calmed down a lot and I'm no longer jumpy to hold him (my husband always held him...lol).

I too did a lot of research reading all the different care sheets out there and found some to be really conflicting even on here some of the advice was conflicting as well but I have stuck to the adverage temps etc on the care sheets and they are doing great. My female is actually being handled by my 4 and 5 year old daughters.

So I actually agree with Em about get what you want as I believe there is no such thing as a beginner breed because when you think about it you might get a breed that they say is great for beginners and get the one individual snake that is really too full on for a beginner but it was classed as a beginner snake.

Also where abouts do you live because I know of a really good breeder

Great post Ninky!!! Personally I didn't see the harm in the original questions being asked tho. I really don't get the whole "let's punish this new person for taking an interest in our hobby" mindset. There is LOTS of conflicting information on the net and it IS confusing.
This forum is touted as being for serious herpers and has a great reputation which is why people come on here and ask questions to begin with. It's unreasonable to assume that just because someone asks what you may deign to be a basic question that they've not done any reading or research. They could well be looking for clarification as a result of conflicting or confusing information.

Can anyone suggest why my PMs go unanswered?
maybe because you expect them to be answered too quickly.. some of us aren't on here 24/7 and may not have logged on since yesterday afternoon until now to answer any private messages mate.. especially when the message you sent me had a 2:30am this morning time stamp :)

I think that Colin is on the right track, well I hope that he is on the right track because if the sellers are ignoring you by assuming that you are a "Tyre kicker", then you are better off NOT buying from them. I personally hate going shopping for something and having the salesperson ignore or take little interest in me. I usually walk out and find it somewhere else. I am looking out for a new pair of cars and if the sales person doesn't show interest in helping me I will just find another car yard.

There are plenty of people selling reptiles and if they don't care then go somewhere else. They don't have a monopoly. Try using the good old telephone and ring them. If they don't care ( you will hear it in their voice) then they probably won't help with after sales assistance either.

I've both replied to his private message and tried to call him on the number given but the call went unanswered. I'll try again later today..

I'm happy to sell you a jungle andrew if you want to buy one from me, and also happy to answer any questions, give help or advice if you want or need any..
cheers

Hey thanks again for all the info!

And Colin, I sent a message to you after I got some advice from this forum. you will noticed I omitted some of the beginner-ish questions :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thank Blue and i, i was worried that my reply may have seemed rude but it wasn't meant to at all.
I was just giving some tips about the way people word things being taken differently, you want it to be sort of casual and relaxed as well as asking what you need to know.
I am glad you are onto someone now that knows their stuff and hopefully can help you out.
I hope you are really happy with the outcome and enjoy your new (hopefully) 'friend' :D

Hey thanks again for all the info!

And Colin, I sent a message to you after I got some advice from this forum. you will noticed I omitted some of the beginner-ish questions :)

no probs and Im happy to help with any questions you have.

I should have qualified some of my earlier statements. I did not mean intentionally mean to lump all sellers into the one basket. As you have discovered, there are some extremely accommodating and personable individuals amongst them. I generalised to push a point and clearly overstated the reality, for which I apologise.

Blue

Mike, I don't see how anyone could become offended at any of your posts. You are one of the most helpful, concise and considerate people on this forum. Your input is always valuable.

Mike, I don't see how anyone could become offended at any of your posts. You are one of the most helpful, concise and considerate people on this forum. Your input is always valuable.

couldn't agree more.. wish there was more like you Bluetongue1. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back