What Are Oenpelli Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah God forbid we ever start to evolve :rolleyes:

Sorry buddy but everyone has a right to be able to see and keep these snakes.

Oh well, I guess in your case we should change the law and go against the wishes of the people that have a spiritual attachment to the land for thousands of years, just so you can be the first kid on your block to own an oenpelli python. I'd call that attitude devolution.:?

i just cant understand why there hasnt been any captive breeding since the last ones were confiscated, you would think that others would try given that they are at some zoos

Oh well, I guess in your case we should change the law and go against the wishes of the people that have a spiritual attachment to the land for thousands of years, just so you can be the first kid on your block to own an oenpelli python. I'd call that attitude devolution.:?

Yeah and there is a giant serpent living in the big red rock:rolleyes:

Elapid, ur an...... How would u like it if i came into ur home and took 5 of each species of ur snakes and said 2bad i'm taking ur land 2? You would b pissed off. show the traditional custodians some respect and accept that they dont want us having these snakes in captivity.

Will

Elapid, ur an...... How would u like it if i came into ur home and took 5 of each species of ur snakes and said 2bad i'm taking ur land 2? You would b pissed off. show the traditional custodians some respect and accept that they dont want us having these snakes in captivity.

Will

I'm pretty sure once you lose a battle it's no longer your land.
Maybe we should give turkey back to russia?

My point exactly.
They say that "owning" snakes is wrong...isn't that what they are doing?
Their not putting them in wooden glass fronted boxes or plastic draws. They are allowing them to remain doing what they do and live where they are suppose to live.

I'm pretty sure once you lose a battle it's no longer your land.
Maybe we should give turkey back to russia?

Right, so that means Aboriginal people have no rights? Terra nulius was thought up by the British a couple of hundred years ago as a convenient way of denying the rights of the origial inhabitants. There was no 'battle'. Mabo extinguished this ludicrous concept in 1992 anyway. Arnhem Land is under Aboriginal control and I for one am grateful for for it.

However the courts have decreed that most land is crown land and so we can merrily go on buggering it up with no thought for the consequences our actions have on native ecosystems and wildlife, which would seem to suit you Elapid.

Still, with your obvious gifts of tact and cultural respect, perhaps you should be the person to negotiate the collection of some oenpelli's from Arnhem Land. Or alternatively, seeing as you won the battle, just head up there with a Landcruiser, some pry bars and hessian sacks and just take the things, they're yours anyway.:rolleyes:

Right, so that means Aboriginal people have no rights? Terra nulius was thought up by the British a couple of hundred years ago as a convenient way of denying the rights of the origial inhabitants. There was no 'battle'. Mabo extinguished this ludicrous concept in 1992 anyway. Arnhem Land is under Aboriginal control and I for one am grateful for for it.

However the courts have decreed that most land is crown land and so we can merrily go on buggering it up with no thought for the consequences our actions have on native ecosystems and wildlife, which would seem to suit you Elapid.

Still, with your obvious gifts of tact and cultural respect, perhaps you should be the person to negotiate the collection of some oenpelli's from Arnhem Land. Or alternatively, seeing as you won the battle, just head up there with a Landcruiser, some pry bars and hessian sacks and just take the things, they're yours anyway.:rolleyes:

Yeah sorry but I believe that you can't have it both ways.
You can't decide when your aboriginal and when your Australian...afterall they are meant to be the same thing.

They would like equality...but only when it suits them

well said,

i didn't think there was a battle, more like the british just came and took it and the aboriginals didn't relise wat happened till it was 2 late.

Will

Yeah sorry but I believe that you can't have it both ways.
You can't decide when your aboriginal and when your Australian...afterall they are meant to be the same thing.

They would like equality...but only when it suits them

OK Elapid, I really don't want to get into slinging match with you about race or ethnicity and people's predjudices as I really don't think this is the forum for it. You are entitled to your opinion, even if I personally find it repugnant.

I do hope one day you get your oenpelli python, legally and from a reputable, licenced breeder. Patience is a virtue....;)

Funnily enough in light of the squabbling, the aboriginals up there gave permission for the wildlife park to collect some years ago. Unfortunately they didn't bother to get around to doing it.

It's all fine and wonderful to say it's lovely that they are out in the wild and we don't have the right to enjoy them, but if climate change or an introduced animal should happen to wipe them out (let's hope they don't find Cane Toads too appealing, as it's only recently those toxic little fiends have invaded Oenpelli territory) you're going to be choking on those words.

It's interesting that back in the 90s when the NSW amnesty was in swing no one bothered to fetch any. Back then there was very little money involved in reptiles in Australia compared to today. I bet a lot of New South Welshmen are kicking themselves now for not having the foresight to grab some when they had the chance!

If the toads don't wipe them out, I'm sure we will see Oenpellis in captivity sooner or later. It would be very amusing if after we all sat on high horses and declared their only rightful place was in the wild, and then the toads wiped them out and the only people who had any alive were smugglers in the USA :lol: I can see that happening. Quite possibly, someone over there has some already, and if the toads were to wipe them out in Australia, the ones overseas would become priceless if we don't have them established in the hands of Australian keepers.

Funnily enough in light of the squabbling, the aboriginals up there gave permission for the wildlife park to collect some years ago. Unfortunately they didn't bother to get around to doing it.

It's all fine and wonderful to say it's lovely that they are out in the wild and we don't have the right to enjoy them, but if climate change or an introduced animal should happen to wipe them out (let's hope they don't find Cane Toads too appealing, as it's only recently those toxic little fiends have invaded Oenpelli territory) you're going to be choking on those words.

It's interesting that back in the 90s when the NSW amnesty was in swing no one bothered to fetch any. Back then there was very little money involved in reptiles in Australia compared to today. I bet a lot of New South Welshmen are kicking themselves now for not having the foresight to grab some when they had the chance!

If the toads don't wipe them out, I'm sure we will see Oenpellis in captivity sooner or later. It would be very amusing if after we all sat on high horses and declared their only rightful place was in the wild, and then the toads wiped them out and the only people who had any alive were smugglers in the USA :lol: I can see that happening. Quite possibly, someone over there has some already, and if the toads were to wipe them out in Australia, the ones overseas would become priceless if we don't have them established in the hands of Australian keepers.

I have nothing against them being kept in captivity, infact, i agree with every point you made with regards to their potential plight in the wild.

I didn't, however, agree with Elapids attitude or stance on the matter.

Cheers,
Josh

I have nothing against them being kept in captivity, infact, i agree with every point you made with regards to their potential plight in the wild.

I didn't, however, agree with Elapids attitude or stance on the matter.

Cheers,
Josh

I second that!

If people read and understood exactly what Peter Krauss went through, and the aftermath of that, I doubt the whole issue of Aboriginal lands etc etc would be an issue.

That is the absolute least of the problems associated.

Cane toads are a part, but it's the bureaucracy that sits on its' collective hands and refuses to take dedicated action that is the real problem. Always was, always is.

The keepers of the land what a joke, I've been to Oenpelli And the sight disgusted me and it amazed me when I was told it was one of the better communities and to think i need a permit in my own country to go and see such a beautiful place, when the so called keepers just keep it in squaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back