What Are Oenpelli Pythons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who live in Oenpelli country are known to eat the pythons they call "nawaran".

Elapid, can we please talk about pythons instead of slinging insults. We can at least all agree that Oenpelli Pythons are lovely. Read this:

Oenpelli epiphany | The Australian
Thanks for that. An interesting, captivating and well written bit of journalism.

And something else of interest- it seems the NT wants to send them over to the US, if the "conservation plan" (whatever that is) is successful:

Northern Territory Government - Oenpelli Python Set to Benefit from MOU

It's not on the list held at the NAIB (Animals), so we can only presume the deal is still in transit, pending the captive breeding of Oenpelli Pythons. C'mon TWP, pull your finger out. Kraussy did it.

Going going !!!!!!!

Personally like Steve1 stated l have been to this area and its pretty obvious to anyone that this area is fast becoming not the ideal place for natural fauna to survive long term, plus Sdaji's point of view if we don't be carefull [IMO] we will have another Tasmanian Tiger [thylacine] on our hands...going going gone...personally l don't believe there is going to be a harmonious outcome...My suggestion is for e.g. If 2-3 highly experienced keepers [herp] were given the envious task of a breeding program and commercial release program there would be l am sure squeals of profiteering....BUT..... [with a suggestion 1st. & 2nd generation profits go to some wildlife charity org]......But unlike the TassieTiger at least we would have a viable population......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

There is no such thing as equality in Australia.The white man has brought good and bad into this country as they have in all developed countries,however the Aboriginals arent perfect either and thats what makes us human.
The true Aboriginals were awarded packages of land across this country for sacred reasons as they had spiritual connections to the land,and that is fine i have no problem with that at all.However they were awarded the land, not what is living on the land.Thats like saying "ok this python has wondered onto my residential land/address that must make it mine so now im going to put it into an enclosure and call it mine" there are still laws prohibiting that, just because its on my land doesnt mean its mine to keep.
As for equality,if we as Australians do actually have it then fine i want to be Aboriginal,because they are stopping legal agencies from collecting limited numbers of animals from their sacred land.But if the government decided for whatever reason they wanted to build a new highway/expressway from point A to point B and my house was in the projected pathway not only would i be forced to sell my house but id also be forced to vacate in a timely fashion.I fail to see how they the traditional elders of the land can stop animals from being collected in LIMITED numbers and be allowed to do this but i could be forced from my land for which i payed for and continue to pay taxes on?Where is the equality in that?

very interesting read serpentes, thanks for the link one can only hope they see the light and start the consevation program soon. then we could all possibly enjoy these beautiful snakes

these pythons are far more wide spread in the wild than most literature i have read about them will indicate.
there are also 3 in a breeding program at the territory wild life park as far as i know they have been unsuccessful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back