what do i need??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmissrazz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey peoplez
Just went to the tender centre and found a 3ft retro buffet type fing... its like a big tank thats not water tight lol anyways..... can you guys help me... i wanna set it up for a beardie and was wondering what type of heating equiptment ill need and lighting..... like do you need heat cords & ceramic heaters or what??? so this will be my first DIY enclosure so be patient and gentle lol thanks guys

You can use alot of different heatng? Lamps, cords, mats, ceramic heaters... I don't keep lizards but I'm pretty sure beardies need UV.. Someone else will know more

Yea i knew they needed UV..... thanks Philk, just dont know what source is the best for heating
oh and also would like to know wattage should i be looking at for heating and lighting?? what temps should the hot & cool ends be?? Do i need some kind of night light and night heater doo dad?? lol

will that be enuff for that size enclosure minus one?? just a normal 75watt light blub?? what kind of uv do u use?? and do u have ur lights caged or anything?? is sand a good substrate or should i get some fake grass stuff or just go news paper

Yep, you'll need both heat and UV light for your beardie.

Our tank is 4.5 foot long by 2 foot wide and 2 foot tall.

For heat, we use a Philips Spot One R80 100w bulb purchased from Bunnings for around $3.30 - it's much cheaper than a specific reptile lamp but does the job just as well. This is connected to a Microclimate B1 dimming thermostat.

For UV, we use an Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB bulb. Our UV bulb is right next to the heat lamp, above the basking spot. If you prefer to use a 'tube' style UV, the NEC T10 blacklight is meant to be really good.

Both the heat and UV light are on a timer which turns them on for 13 hours per day and off overnight.

We don't bother to cage either of our lights and have had no problems - the beardies are happy to sit underneath and bask, I have never seen them attempt to jump at or touch the lights. As far as substrate is concerned, sand is not good for young beardies but might be ok for older beardies. I personally prefer astroturf as it looks nice and is very easy to keep clean.

I'll try to find photos of my setup tonight.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your project :)

i use the reflector globes from coles, 2x60 watts side by side so the girls can share a basking area. tehy cost about $2.35.

when they were little i used light cages and they liked to hang off them (they had a rock wall backing to climb in that tank otherwise i doubt they could have reached them),...in this tank they cant really get to the lights so theres no cage.

washed playsand from bunnings is ok fro adults, a non ingestible substrate is better for young dragons.

heres a pic of the lights n stuff....UV is in the middle and that branch goes under it so tehy can get close enough. (its a repti glo 8)

Last edited:
my enclosure is 60cm x 35cm

i use clean sand from bunnings, some fake plats, some large brannches and pebbles
i have the heat lamp right above a large rock (for basking) and some piping up the other end for a cool area.
uv light I got at an electrical place. i don't know the name, but it fits in a regular light fitting (bayonet).

you don't want to heat the wentire enclosure, coz they need a cool spot to hide

ha, ok, the veterens got in before me. lol.

i'm very new to this too, but seem to be doing the right thing so far. still have a happy healthy beardy

u can get compacts, but they're crap, dont waste ur money. teh tubes are much better.

what kind of base is best for these kinds of lights?? the repti glo and exo doo dads?? how often do u need 2 change the UV lights?? i think i read somewhere its like every 4-6 months?? do i need a thermostat??

compacts look like the power saving globes and fit into a normal light fitting, but their UV output is really weak within a month.

Tubes are like the fluro in the pic i posted and they have a pretty good UVB output for around 6 months.

:)

MVB's (mercury vapour bulbs) do both heat and UVB together,...

I have set up an old buffet as a bearded dragon house.

I have found the height of the buffet to be an issue over winter in keeping the tank to optimal heating requirements so i have just today bought a heat cable to place under one half of the sand on the bottom of the cage. This will hopefully bring the temps up a bit.

I am also using a 100watt Red Heat Lamp for their basking spot.

And a 4ft UV Light.

(But the lizards love their new cage and the room to move.)

ok how long do they last has anyone had any experience with these before?? want something that is relativly cheap and has a long life lol

ok i have a 25watt heat cable that gets pretty hot lol that would do for under the substrate.... or newspaper lol so i just need a heat and UV light source.... and the sittings where can i get the fittings already wired etc looking at the herp shop but they dont have the ones i want wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back