what do i need??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think MVB's get replaced every 12 months and cost around $50,...

Are compacts really that bad? :(

We're using a compact mainly because I couldn't think of an easy, effective and non-ugly way to mount the fluro fitting inside our enclosure (which is glass all round).

Our compact is the 'spiral' type that is twisty and we had to modify a light fitting as it was edison type, not bayonet. I would like a combined heat/UV bulb but I've heard that you can't use these with a thermostat? That puts me off the idea a bit.

beardies do better in a bright tank, which is why i use teh reflector globes from coles.

how about a 60 watt normal light globe (bayonet) in the cold end and a mercury at the other with an additional 100watt standard bayonet light??

hsuvbulb10ui5.jpg

^ That's the one we are using.

so that does UV aswell miss b??? how often do they need replacing?? what wattage would i need for 3ft ish enclosure 13 or 26??
ah ok thanks Mr I

The only thing i would probably check out is because of the height in a buffet unit whether enough of the light would get to the lizards using a globe like Miss B shows.

I cant comment cause I havent used them before, i have always used tubes.

Are compacts really that bad? :(

We're using a compact mainly because I couldn't think of an easy, effective and non-ugly way to mount the fluro fitting inside our enclosure (which is glass all round).

Our compact is the 'spiral' type that is twisty and we had to modify a light fitting as it was edison type, not bayonet. I would like a combined heat/UV bulb but I've heard that you can't use these with a thermostat? That puts me off the idea a bit.

from tests i've seen theyre not good, i havent tried them myself though...

lilmissrazz, if u use an MVB you wont need additional lighting.

The one I posted is our UV light. I'm told they need replacing every five to six months.

I originally bought an NEC T10 fluro tube and fluro holder, but it was so big and bulky and we couldn't figure out how to install it in the tank without it looking ugly. The compact was so much easier, we just wired it into the lid of our enclosure, right next to the heat lamp.

how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?? didnt know u could by a UV light @ bunnings. you got the tube and everything from there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back