What frogs are available in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting some frogs. I know its easy to get some species could ppl please list what species they know of in captivity and please try not to repeat what others have posted.

Thanks
Cris

Most common in captivity would probably be Green Tree Frogs, Red-Eyed Tree Frogs, White-lipped Tree Frogs and Green & Golden Bell Frogs. But if i was going to keep frogs i'd probably try and find a few Dainty Tree Frogs, they're absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny that you should post this Cris because I just today got myself a Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea). I rang up Ecoaccess a few weeks ago and they were pretty light on with info about what frogs you could keep in captivity here in QLD. They ended up saying any non-threatened species were ok - I then proceeded to ask them if they had a threatened species list and guess what? LOL so you're pretty much flying solo. But yeah I set up an enclosure for this guy rather easily and he's been great so far - although I've had him about five hours now so it might be a bit early to tell. I wanted an adult frog and there have been NONE around in QLD lately. Ended up getting this guy from interstate...

Andrew

Attachments

• TubbyFirst6.jpg
    TubbyFirst6.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 72
We just got 4 Litoria splendida, Magnificent Tree Frogs but i'm not sure if you can keep them in QLD. Will post pics soon

Here is an overview of the Queensland laws from http://frogs.org.au/arc/legal.html

Queensland licences and protection

The Queensland governmental departments responsible for frogs are the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS). It is difficult to locate the relevant laws either online or by telephoning the agencies.

To the best of my knowledge, these are the important regulations (as at March 2005):

* All frog indigenous to Australia are protected wildlife and cannot be taken from the wild in any form adult, juvenile, larva or egg without a permit.
* The exception to the above is that a person may take and keep up to eight adult frogs of up to four species but no more than two frogs of any one species "for personal enjoyment". The "taking" (catching) must be done on the person?s own property and the frogs be kept on that property. The frogs can?t be displayed and should there be progeny, the metamorphs must be released at the point of capture within 7 days of metamorphosis.
* Frogs from outside Queensland must not be moved into the state without a permit.

The application for the relevant permit is available online but you may need to make a phone call to discover the exact cost. (It is around $50.)

* View application for Recreational wildlife licence (birds, reptiles, amphibians)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back