What Fruit/veg do you feed your rats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_red_head

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this is prob on here somewhere but can't seem to find it. Just wondering what fruit/veg people feed their rats and how often.

I have a good pellet mix and already supplement with some vege's. Was giving sweet potato as one veg and my rats love it however getting a bit expensive at the moment and on doing some research found out that I'm not meant to give it to them.

I have tried tomatoes, mushrooms and pumpkin which some like and some don't. Carrots, peas, beans, lettuce and avocado are all a big hit but looking for some others.

Cheers
Kristie

celery,carrot,lettuce,tomato,bread, bio-mare for pellets & dry dog food(very rarely)

AM Pythons has my vote.
Dry dog food for the mums to be.
Corn when in season but basicaly all the kitcken scrap's every night.
So far have been keeping 2 to 400 rat's for last 3 years.

Rufus used to love strawberries... he's dead now, but he loved them!!!

Dont go too crazy on the corn, it can give em constipation. Safe Food for Rats is an awesome foods list for ratties.

That's a good list - noting the prunus sp. all require 'no stone' - this is probably because the stones of this group all contain some fairly toxic minerals... I was led to believe ****nic.... (haha - safe filter - Ars e nic or As (atomic number 33))

Dont go too crazy on the corn, it can give em constipation. Safe Food for Rats is an awesome foods list for ratties.

Thanks Koula. That's great, will have to try some new ones. I did find info saying not to feed sweet potato raw but this list says it's ok which is a relief cause mine love it.

Cheers all
Kristie

I did find info saying not to feed sweet potato raw but this list says it's ok which is a relief cause mine love it.

It's safe in small amounts, like a once a week/fortnight treat, I'd cook it to just to be on the safe side. Apparently recent rat studies have found raw sweet potato contains compounds that form cyanide in the rat's stomach, which is never a good thing. They didnt specify if it was the purple-skinned sweet potato type or the orange-skinned kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back