What is the best diet for Canaries?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LennytheGecko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I have just been given a large avery which i have filled with canaries.

I have seed available all the time for them aswell as cuttlefish to help clean their beaks. I also give them fresh fruit and veg each day. So far i have given them lettuce, carrot, apple, celery(leaf and stalk) and basil.
What else i can give them and is lettuce ok to give them.... they love it.

I had some for a while, just fed them seeds.

I agree with pbolomey ;)

Lettuce (iceberg, cos ect) is not good for birds.
Try darker greens like endive (curly type of lettuce), silverbeet. ect (they tend not to go so much for the bulkier fruits & veg. maybe if you grate them they might eat them better.
Maybe try some egg & biscuit mix when they are breeding.
If you have some red factors give them a colour supplement to keep them nice and bright.

hope this helps

megan

Wicked! Thanks for the responses!

Lol Pbolomey, yes i can imagine a very very content resting with 10 little lumps in its belly.

Spent 1 hour searcing for agood bird forum and kept getting redivirted to adult sites and weight loss sites.

Hetty, love the avatar.... all bird are apparently meant to have fresh food as well as seeds :)

Froglet , thanks heaps, i have been feeding them the darker leaves from an iceberg lettuce but will swap them over to spinach or silverbeet. Cheers for your help :)

DO canaries like mealworms?

Canaries are from the finch family and as such are large eaters of insects at breeding time. They require a varied diet for the rest of the year and benefit from a good quality mixed canary seed NOT the type you buy from woolies. Merrylands Produce in Sydney supply the best mixed canary seed. All green leaf vegies are important but do not feed large quanties of lettuce as it is too high in oxycylic acid leading to intestinal and kidney problems. They will enjoy chop bones after you have eaten the meat, cuttlefish, tonic mix, green seed heads from seeding grasses and winter grass, chickweed, and fruits. In breeding season they need extra protein, from egg & buscuit mix, insects and green seed heads. This is what ensures the young grow well and have good feather development. Good luck, any prob get back to me. I breed canaries for show some years back.

Sprouted seed is good. Speak to your local petstore about stocking the correct seed if they don't already. Basically you soak the seed thoroughly to start, then wash it two to three times a day. In about 3 or 4 days the seed will sprout, feed it to the birds when the sprouts have gotten to about 10 to 15 mm long.

This is just a brief overview but you can look it up if you want to do it.

Its good for feeding to chooks, quail etc as well

This is great feed back guys.... thanks heaps!!!!!

Im having more fun with my canaries than i thought i would... they have started to come down and eat the fresh food when im still in the cage next to the food :) didnt think they were that friendly.
Thanks Imalizard, mealworms are in there atm.
Thanks heap feathers, and i think i might contact you if i have any more questions. (breeding season coming up and all)
and Thanks Tsubakai, i started growing the seeds in potting mix so i will start agian, do i just soak the seeds in a bowl with nothing else? (soil, cotton buds ect.) ?

Ummm and can some one explain the 'gut load' joke, completely went over my head and now i feel stoopid >< hmmmm

Just soak them in a strainer thingy, makes it easy to rinse them. Only soak them for a little while (??an hour? can't remember) then just rinse them a few times a day until they sprout. If you leave them soaking continuously they'll end up rotting.

Hmmmmm first cat names, now bird seed! Whats next, rat toys?

Ummm and can some one explain the 'gut load' joke, completely went over my head and now i feel stoopid >< hmmmm
^^^^^^^^^^^^
insult4.gif

Oh and keeping in line with site rules, what your feeding them is fine, fatten them up and then feed them to snakes or in otherwords 'gutload' ;) .....

Besides cuttle fish they need and LOVE 'shell grit'. It helps with digestion. It comes in varying sizes depending on what size bird you have.......enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the help... i have 10 very happy ,and never hungry, canaries. I'll post a new thread when i get some hatchlings. :p

Sorry to everyone who thought this thread was a bad idea, being on a reptile website and all, but i felt a forum titled "other animals" might include birds :)

Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back