Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedrake

Reaction score
Saw this at the place we stayed at in Broome, any ideas?
Would've been around 20cm?

SDC11454.jpg

I would've liked to catch and keep it but had a reptile-fearing not-quite-mother-in-law staying with us lol. Saw a beautiful green tree snake too that would've made a nice addition but he got away :p Wasn't quick enough to get pics of him :(

I would've liked to catch and keep it but had a reptile-fearing not-quite-mother-in-law staying with us lol. Saw a beautiful green tree snake too that would've made a nice addition but he got away :p Wasn't quick enough to get pics of him :(
Catching and/or keeping wild geckos is illegal and immoral!!

I'm kidding you know that right? I wouldn't take a wild one without know at least a little bit about them first lol besides I don't really like geckos they're too soft.

Catching and/or keeping wild geckos is illegal and immoral!!
The normal legalities that apply to the taking of native animals do not apply. The Asian House Gecko is an introduced exotic. However, keeping it is another story because it is an offence to be in possession of an unlicensed exotic animal.

If you truly believe it to be immoral and you practice what you preach, then you don’t have any pets. All pets originated from wild collected animals.
Blue

Definitely a Gehyra but based on the photo, I'm not sure of the species.
The bad view of the head keeps me from saying definitely. Gehyra and hemidactylus can have very similar bodies and tails but the head always stands out for me. Not challenging you id but would like to know what you pick up on to say definitely?

I understand but the major influencing factor for me was its toes. I do not live in an area inhabited by Hemidactylus and base comparisons on images so this may be the reason I'm wrong but to me, the width and shape of the toes alongside its body and head (like you've said) just say to me that it is a Gehyra. Obviously though, the image doesn't give me any more indication of what it is than that.

The normal legalities that apply to the taking of native animals do not apply. The Asian House Gecko is an introduced exotic. However, keeping it is another story because it is an offence to be in possession of an unlicensed exotic animal.

If you truly believe it to be immoral and you practice what you preach, then you don’t have any pets. All pets originated from wild collected animals.
Blue
Obviously I was talking about natives, and yes illegal poaching is immoral, and I fail to see how me keeping a legal collection is contradictory to my morals.......

Last edited:
I agree with Geckoman. Unfortunately, this statement is often used to justify wild collection:
All pets originated from wild collected animals.

However, there's a difference between buying a reptile that's the descendant of a long line of CB ancestors and taking one directly out of the wild. In a purely hypothetical example (and yes, I know about the genetics of inbreeding), let's say there are 50,000 central bearded dragons in the pet trade. This could mean that two were taken out of the wild and the other 49,998 were produced through captive breeding or 50,000 were taken out of the wild. These scenarios are not equal and I know which one I'd support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back