what is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:? I know this is a young what ever it is, but i was wondering if any of you could help me. i am in central qld west of rockhampton, and this little fellow is a local. a small kid was playing with him, and wanted to take him to school for show and tell!! he has wide belly scales so i know he is at least mildly venomous. after looking through some books, i am starting to think he might be a carpentaria snake?? first i thought, brown, but he is only about 300mm in total length, and i have sceen browns before and they are usually different then this... lighter in colour. this little fellow has sort of stripped pattern, but not very promenent. can someone else please give me some input on this delemer?? thanx

yep definitely need a clearer pic or close up webby...

The wide belly and from what i can make out it could be a Keeback...

sorry... i try to get another pic!

have a look at this... i dont have a real good camera for closups...

RE: sorry... i try to get another pic!

if you save the pic, you should be able to enlarge it on your pc's! sorry my pc is playing up, needs a good service!

another pic

i know this is frustrating, it is for me the most.... but please try.... if you save it to your computer... you can use your computers to blow the pics up to a larger size... you might be able to tell then...

RE: another pic

i believe you may have hit the nail on the head... i believe it to be as keelback aswell... after reeding into it more... i think you are correct.... i naver would have expected to run into one here... we are right on the edge.. if not over the edge of where they are usually found... and it doesnt get very wet here much throughout the year... and it was found nowhere near the dam,(the only water body that stays wet all year round!!!) dont be concerned.. i will be releasing it tomorrow.. near water... great to read that this little fellow eats cane toads and doesnt get sick from it... he will do well around here...lol

i will agree with minority (i would have said BTS) but now that i have blown it up sort of :S and seen it is most likely a keelback.

Such definate identification for such a fuzzy photo. Has anyone stopped to consider, when telling webby this is a non ven Keelback, that the Rough Scaled Snake is almost identical and is venomous?

i am only saying what i think it is Webby can either take that info or not its his choice whether or not he/she goes and handles it or not.

well its safe to say it is a keelback considering the location the snake was found, rough scaled snake are very coastal animals, as for the keelback its distribution does carry into the central parts of Qld and see that it was found in the "central qld west of rockhampton" I would say it was a keelback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back