What kind of snake is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeeater

Reaction score
Last edited:
Juvenile Eastern Brown Snake Pseudonaja textilis. Extremely venomous-be careful

Agreed Juvenile Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textillis) this species even as a juvenile has the potential to cause fatality. Seeing as it's already been caught you should release it away from residences in the local area taking great care not to come into any situation where you may be bitten.,

If it is an Eastern Brown (I'm no expert but it sure looks like it could be) it is just as lethal as a full grown one if it gave you a proper tag. Pretty little buggers aren't they. :)

I looked at some pictures of them and I guess that's what it was.

It did this, too. From Wiki: "When highly agitated, they hold their necks high, appearing in an upright S-shape."

Damn. How can something so small and cute be so poisonous? I guess I shouldn't have released it so close to the house then.

Why didn't it attack the cat though? The cat didn't extend its claws to scratch it or bite it or anything, but it did hit it with its paw and pick it up in its mouth.

Very toxic venom, but very small fangs - the cat would only have a couple of places around the head and mouth where a bite would be effective. Keep an eye out for changes in the behaviour/wellbeing of your cat for the next couple of days though...

Jamie

I looked at some pictures of them and I guess that's what it was.

It did this, too. From Wiki: "When highly agitated, they hold their necks high, appearing in an upright S-shape."

Damn. How can something so small and cute be so poisonous? I guess I shouldn't have released it so close to the house then.

Why didn't it attack the cat though? The cat didn't extend its claws to scratch it or bite it or anything, but it did hit it with its paw and pick it up in its mouth.

aaaaaaaah! you called it poisonous??????? ALL CAPS RAGE!!!
lol

seriosuly cannot believe you just picked up the worlds most venomous snake... wow, be careful please, its things like this that gives snakes bad names :p.

p.s. i believe all the pretty snakes and animals are the deadly ones lol

It's easy to understand why people like elapids when you look at this little guy. Very pretty snakes, it's a shame the banding dissapears so much as they mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back